This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is kubuntu able to play games on steam?

To start off I just started looking into other Linux operating systems besides Mint and Ubuntu, and Kubuntu (which I know is based off of Ubuntu and Debian) I have strong interest in having as my default operating system when building a

new computer. I was wondering if it can play games(games available for Linux of course or at least get play on Linux) on steam like Ubuntu? The games I'm interested in playing is Counter-Strike: global offensive, Mount & Blade:

Warband, Half-life series, Storm United, etc. In addition don't get me wrong I'm not just in it for games im interested in programming, networking, and security as well. But my greatest question is how well It runs games on steam?

Thank you for reading my question and hope to have some very helpful answers, Thanks!

Yes, but if you hate WINE (which should have been an emulator) you'll be limited to native games. Team Fortress 2 runs natively though -- that's what I'm fragging people with right now -- no Winblows DirectX shiznit required.

Comment

Hi,

With Counter-Strike Global Offensive I had about 30FPS (but this maybe due to my specifications). Concerning Mount and Blade; Warband runs very well through PlayOnLinux, and so does Half-Life 1, Blue Shift and Opposing Force. I do not know about Half-Life 2 and its episodes have not tested those. Furthermore, Civilization V native for Linux runs very good and smooth.

Comment

Hi,

I really thank you guys for good answers, but based on KittyDealah's answer when it comes to Mount and blade Warband. Based on the system requirements on steam saying it could run on Linux, would that not run natively for Linux? Again thank you guys for the helpful answers hope to have ones like these!
        Last edited by Cyberrunner; May 20, 2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

LOL nice!

Comment

Works for me! (Need a fast graphics chip. My Intel Hd4000 was just fast enough to run Universe2 if I turned off background particles).
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I only play Team fortress 2 and Dota 2 and they work great.

If you want to have the best linux gaming experience you should buy/use nvidia card.
              Last edited by schnelle; May 22, 2015, 04:37 AM.
              Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

AMD here and working great on several games without wine

7 Days to Die
                BioShock Infinite
                Borderlands 2
                Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
                Dead Island
                Metro: Last Light Redux
                Natural Selection 2
                NS2: Combat
                Shadowrun Chronicles
                Shadowrun Returns
                Shadowrun Dragonfall
                Star Conflict
                Witcher 2
                Last edited by otisklt; May 28, 2015, 09:45 PM. Reason: Details added
                Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Star Conflict is native and free too. Unfortunately they don't have a naitive MMORPG that's as good as Ryzom.

Hope the SteamVR goggles are Linux compatible.
                  http://steamcommunity.com/steamvr

Comment

Funny, I was gonna write about low FPS in Diablo 3.

I have to run though.

For those who want to know: you can run the Battle.net app provided you disable the library "dbghelp" in winecfg. But you must reenable it for Diablo III.exe or it won't start. So I disable it globally and reenable it for Diablo III specifically. Then, with Wine, you can run the game.

But my FPS is about 1/4 of what it is in Windows :@. I didn't realise it was so bad. I didn't quite remember how good it was in Windows. I cannot , can hardly run the game in Linux.

I have Borderlands 2 installed and it runs but I haven't played it much, and it seemed to bug out when I wanted to do something for which an age restriction was in place? It started to ask me in the Steam client itself for my birth date, and that didn't work as the dropdown menu's failed me. Otherwise, the game runs, and it seems to run fine.

I like Steam can't say I love it yet, but I like it.

Also I can say that for Battle.net and intel onboard the Intel drivers only support Kubuntu 14.10 (or at least its kernel) and you are required to have latest Intel Graphics Stack (it is said to also be supported on 15.04 but untested).

But given that the performance is so bad (in Wine) it is not worth bothering.
                    Last edited by xennex81; Jun 01, 2015, 06:48 AM.

Comment

I can understand games that use proprietary and closed-source APIs (DirectX/3D) running slower. I'm having a hard time understanding why OpenGL is lagging behind on Linux though. Everyone on Winblows has OpenGL 3.x and I'm stuck with OpenGL 2.x

There's a rumor about nVidia beta drivers supporting OpenGL 3 under Linux but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Valve may be saving the day with this one... glNext is in the works.
                        Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Working...
                        X