This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam for linux beta

So, anyone made it into the steam for linux beta yet? See here if you have not signed up yet

made acct. signed up (took survey) and waiting

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I really want to sign up but because I use Bumblebee for Optimus support I would be a poor candidate and would need to lie to get on the survey. Optirun is really bad with steam unlike most games. Hopefully somebody will figure it out soon enough.

Comment

Following a link here, lead me to this which contains this that has a very interesting line in it

So naturally the next thing I did on my arch box was
        Code:
        packer -S steam
        Seems that they don't have any sign in protecting the .deb file

EDIT: Though they have linked the sign in of the client to who is in the beta
        Last edited by james147; Nov 24, 2012, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Valve: "Hey Linux community. So we have decided to do something nice for you and bring Steam to your OS. We want to do this properly so we are starting with a closed beta on 1 distro and after that we will expand. Don't worry we know there is more than one distro so we'll open up more later on when we have most of the bugs squashed and feel we can provide a good experience."

Our response: "Let's take this gesture of good faith and act like animals. Let's ignore Valve's goals/plans and find workarounds and hacks."

I really don't think its appropriate that we don't return their gesture of good faith with patience and respect. We should act more mature else the stigma of being a "community of freeloaders" will stay. To be fair though, the fact that Valve hasn't said anything about this appears to be tacit approval of our actions.

Comment

One can sort of get around the beta test - I could not, no access to games - probably due to my having a laptop with Intel non-fun graphics but yesterday I got notification i was on the mailing list and now i can download serious sam and the TFT's. I received no beta keys. Not that I can play these on this box mind you but my windows games, etc are listed in there now as well, even if unplayable atm - all the Half life games basically.

Comment

to install that .deb @hear will require the installation 94 additional packages all i386 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                to install that .deb @hear will require the installation 94 additional packages all i386 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
                yup, right now it is 32bit, 64 bit will come later.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  yup, right now it is 32bit, 64 bit will come later.
                  I see this .......and is it a futile install unless you get the email?

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

I see this .......and is it a futile install unless you get the email?

VINNY
                    Dunno. I never got a key. Serious Sam never loads anyway, not unexpected. Still try tft when I get home from work.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

O what the heck ,,,,,,,installing anyway to see .......LOL

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

There is a workaround to launch games.

http://panicgamer.com/News-detail/st...a-work-around/

Comment

O what the heck ,,,,,,,installing anyway to see .......LOL

VINNY
                          O well it wouldn't start up despite installing and updating it's self ok ,,,,, kept getting a "Fatal Error: Failed to load steamui.so" well I found some posts about installing the ia32lib's but that wants to remove a lot of my goodies so I think I will put a i386-Ubuntu on one of the testing partitions and try it on that

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

O well it wouldn't start up despite installing and updating it's self ok ,,,,, kept getting a "Fatal Error: Failed to load steamui.so" well I found some posts about installing the ia32lib's but that wants to remove a lot of my goodies so I think I will put a i386-Ubuntu on one of the testing partitions and try it on that

VINNY
                            Still one of my peeves with Ubuntu, multi-arch is really really bad!

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                              I really want to sign up but because I use Bumblebee for Optimus support I would be a poor candidate and would need to lie to get on the survey. Optirun is really bad with steam unlike most games. Hopefully somebody will figure it out soon enough.
                              A couple weeks ago I decided to try out Optimus on my T520. It worked, but fiddling around with optirun was a pain. And multi-monitor support is weak.

So then I decided to try, yet again, to get the nVidia binary drivers working with the laptop's firmware in discrete mode. And, to my delightful surprise, it now works! I can drive multiple digital monitors at my office and not worry about crashing X just by dragging a window around -- a regular feature of Nouveau.

Comment

Working...
                              X