This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humble Botanicula Linux for 1 cent

Debut of a new game, emphasizing "enviornmental" themes that can be downloaded for "whatever you want to pay", as low as one cent(U.S. presumable).

The announcement;

http://reviews.cnet.com/marketplace/...5_7-82722.html

A short, and succinct, review of the game which sounds at least moderately interesting.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/131717/bo...reorder-makeup

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

woodsmoke,

I'm well and truly jealous. I've been looking forward to the release of the game and was going to pick it up this weekend. Unfortunately, the deal you are talking about was a one day only affair, and strictly from that website. Some people have all the luck.

good luck,
    capt-zero

Comment

Originally posted by capt-zero View Post
      woodsmoke,

I'm well and truly jealous. I've been looking forward to the release of the game and was going to pick it up this weekend. Unfortunately, the deal you are talking about was a one day only affair, and strictly from that website. Some people have all the luck.

good luck,
      capt-zero
      Actually it was a 2week affair, and if you register your email with them they will tell you when their next offer comes around so you will have the 2weeks to decide if you want it (and they usually add more stuff to the deal as the time progresses)

Its well worth registering with them as they basically give away tonnes of cross platform indie games at a regular basis.

And remember, if you just pay 1cent you lower the linux average and we don't want to be seen as greedier then the windows user do we , or in fact the macs as well.
      Last edited by james147; May 04, 2012, 05:36 AM.

Comment

james147,

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

thanx,
        capt-zero

Comment

Okay, guys. I've downloaded the .tar.gz file. Extracted it and the 'read me' file says to open the 'install.sh' file. I'm relatively new and am still confused. I've tried clicking on the file, doesn't appear to work. I've opened a terminal and tried "install.sh", also "sudo apt-get instal.sh", opened it with 'kate' and tried "pipe to terminal". I'm stumped. I know it's something basic, but these .tar.gz files have got me. Any help?

thanx,
          capt-zero

Comment

From the directory where the install.sh file exists, type:
            Code:
            ./install.sh
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

snowhog,

Thank you very much. I couldn't find an extract and install guide anywhere. I'm sure you are shaking you're head and saying why didn't he search about extracting and installing .tar.gz files, the only excuse is I've been going since 0500 this am and starting to fall asleep. Had a garage sale today. I'm too old to be hauling furniture all day. Anyway thanks loads. It's a great game, anyone who likes adventure/strategy and who is tired of blood and guts should check it out.

thanx,
              capt-zero

Comment

You are more than welcome. The packager of that game should have written a better/clearer readme file. Many people would have, and do, just what you tried to do, with the same results.

The reason that you need to preface install.sh with ./ is that the file (install.sh) is a bash script, and it needs bash in order to execute. But, the directory that this file (install.sh) is in is not in the environment path know to bash.

Comment

snowhog,

Yes, that is what got me. I couldn't understand it, I was in the directory in a terminal and couldn't get any action out of the command install. There are still quite a few differences working with the linux CLI I can't seem to get a grasp of. It's a shame I can't seem to encourage any of my friends or family to try it out so I could bounce ideas around with them. That's how I first learned TI and trs80 basic back in the eighties. Of course we didn't have a place like this or the internet for info and help, but sometimes I feel like I'm asking strangers for stuff I should be able to figure out myself.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the pointer. I appreciate it.

thanx,
                  capt-zero

Comment

Originally posted by capt-zero View Post
                    Of course we didn't have a place like this or the internet for info and help, but sometimes I feel like I'm asking strangers for stuff I should be able to figure out myself.
                    You, we, all of us here in KFN are not strangers -- we are a unique family of sorts. Don't ever feel like you shouldn't/couldn't ask a family member for assistance. That's what all of us are here for.
                    Last edited by Snowhog; May 05, 2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Canonical and Humble Indie "Bundle" deal signed, article includes a video.

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

The Humble Bundle V is out and includes some great games:

Experience the fear and paranoia of Amnesia: The Dark Descent; the intensity and impact of LIMBO; the zany characters of Psychonauts; the future-retro, audiovisual concoction of Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP; and, for customers who pay more than the average price, the exquisitely crafted action-RPG, Bastion.
                        Only 9 days and 10 hours left

Comment

Working...
                        X