X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space Harrier from video game console ninetindo c-64 atari

Hi
    I know that this topic has been beat to death probably, but is there any general idea on what might be going on with "emulating" or playing old video games?

I don't have the disk because it was for my old C-64 but one of my fav games was Space Harrier.

So, I thought I'd search for it, and found this site:

http://www.retrocopy.com/sega-master...e-harrier.aspx

Unless this is some kind of SCAM site, they supposedly have a tar.lzma.

They don't have the "ROM" but I found this site that did provide it after watching a Microsith advert.

http://www.coolrom.com/roms/genesis/...ce_Harrier.php

Both the 32 and 64 bit emulator seem to extract a valid file and they both have .deb executable in them that don't work,

And when I went back from the ROM to the deb it didn't work either.

However, the idea that did occur to me is that possibly somebody who is experienced with this kind of thing could maybe figure out particularly what the thing is that is needed to get the game, or another one, to play.

And then decide if the same "fix" could be applied to any of the games.

That then might present two opportunities.

a) we could have a poll of the available games and maybe somebody could provide a workable .deb for say the top three choices.

b) depending on how the fix is done, maybe it would be relatively easy, this would be a way for the community to get involved, people could download their fav game, do the fix and then upload it and a lot of games could be available in a short time.

HOWEVER, it might be that thee are legal problems to uploading a working whatever, like a whole folder that includes the emulator and rom, don't know..

Dunno, just a thought.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: Space Harrier from video game console ninetindo c-64 atari

Originally posted by woodsmoke
    HOWEVER, it might be that thee are legal problems to uploading a working whatever, like a whole folder that includes the emulator and rom, don't know..
    Hi Woodsmoke...

Unfortunately, yes, there are legal issues involved with the old arcade ROMS. From what I understand, the only way to stay on safe grounds, apart from getting direct permission from an owner of a game, is to use the ROMS available (for free) at MAME'S website. You can get MAME itself and a frontend in the repositories.

A few years ago, Atari made an agreement with a company called StarROMS to provide some games like Tempest, Asteroids, Crystal Castles, etc., for a nominal fee but, sadly, they shut down about a year later due to, I'm guessing, a lack of interest and profit. I'm sure most people felt, "Why pay for something I can get for free?" However, that was StarROMS sole advertising line or pitch, to obtain legally the ROMS that one might want. I purchased about 4 of them with the intent to get more before this happened.

Atari and other companies began to see the increased interest in these old games, so a few put out CD's with the original games and a proprietary player to play them with....for Windows operating systems. There was one from Taito that I was able to get permission from the company to copy the ROMS into MAME on my copy of Ubuntu 5.10 at the time, since it was my sole OS.

I've tried to get permission to use for free other games that I couldn't find on CD but to no avail. Until the copyrights expire and the games are released into the public domain (as the games offered at MAME's website are) I'm not sure if the current situation will change.

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Hi ardvark
      thanks muchly for the very informative reply.
      I checked the Mame site but there's not much there that I'm really interested in and the process was going to take all that linuxy build stuff!

So , not so good an idea ..

If a mod want's to remove this thread please feel free to do so.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi ardvark
        thanks muchly for the very informative reply.
        I checked the Mame site but there's not much there that I'm really interested in and the process was going to take all that linuxy build stuff!

If a mod want's to remove this thread please feel free to do so.
        Hi Woodsmoke...

No, you can get MAME and a frontend in the repositories using Synaptic or a package manager of your choice.

Please leave this thread, it may help someone else.

Regards...
        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Thanks aardvark,

I ASSUME....that you are addressing the mods!

I TRIED TO MAKE IT A STICKY BUT noooooooo

lol
          just kidding!

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Both the 32 and 64 bit emulator seem to extract a valid file and they both have .deb executable in them that don't work,
            Game site -- Check
            MS ads -- Check
            DL a pgm that "doesn't work" -- Check

mmm... maybe it did "work", but what it did isn't what you thought it would do?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi GG
              I should have been more explicit.

Since there was no other path to getting it to work, I clicked the "deb" and the screen "blinked".

That was it.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

When you right mouse on it in Dolphin doesn't the Gdebi installer option show up?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

yes but it doesn't install it just blinks

just my doof install probably, i'm just a hardware kinda guy.

woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

"just blinks" is, IMO, suspicious. The Gdebi UI should at least open up and run the progress bar as it checks for validity and dependencies. A blink would suggest that those two processes went by so fast, because the package is so small and there are no dependencies, or, the package could be broken.

A deb package can be opened with Ark and its contents viewed. They are usually one or more compressed tar files and a manifest file. You can drag a tar file out of the deb package and then open it with Ark and take a look at the inside. IF you see a shell script you are in trouble. It would be time to run chkrootkit and rkhunter.

Comment

hmmmm ok thanks GG.

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi
                        I ran across some "lets compare" videos for Space Harrier and now know why I liked the game so much.

The commodore had a much more rich music capability than the other platforms that the music was much better than the rest.

Here is the c-65 gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCZzaKq--0Y

woodsmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                        X