This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam - Team Fortress 2 'runs' really slow

Hi all, hope this is right place to ask.

I'm trying to run Team Fortress 2 on my Kubuntu, but as far as I got is the situation where I could enter the game menu, but it was running really slow. Looked like CPU was running 100%. Every click took too many seconds. All I could do was exit the game after hovering above 'Quit' button for quite a while. It was like slideshow.

I have Nvidia 8800 GTS. I didn't install any display driver, I still have the defaults: nvidia-173-modaliases, nvidia-96-modaliases, nvidia-common and nvidia-current-modaliases.
    I use Wine1.3.6, and Kubuntu 10.10.

Can you get me some advice?

Oh, yeah, I used -dxlevel 81, like always. Steam Community In-game and Steam Cloud disabled.

Re: Steam - Team Fortress 2 'runs' really slow

I think you may need to install the nonfree Nvidia drivers, not sure if the Nouveau is good enough for gaming.

I have not ren steam in a long time, but I used to sometimes have to reduce dxlevel down to 72 or something, but that was probably die to the junk card I had at the time.

Comment

I got it running: I went to K-Applications-System-Additional Drivers. They showed up in the list, 2 of them:
      NVIDIA accelerated graphic driver (version 173), and
      NVIDIA accelerated graphic driver (version current) [Recommended].
      Both were not activated. So I activated the Recommended one. After reboot, now I can enter the game with 'no problems' (-dxlevel 81). Game runs smoothly on servers but as an old player I can feel some mouse/keyboard input lag. Is this due to running TF2 through Wine?

Is the graphic driver version 173 newer/better than this current version?

Comment

NVIDIA site indicates that 260.19.12 is the most current driver for your GPU

and regarding the slow response time:
        Originally posted by [url]http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux
        Please[/url] note: Games run with these methods will be slower than running them on Windows because the games are not native executable files. To get the best performance we will need to wait for Valve to release a native Steam client (which is now rumoured to be happening).
        Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
        Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. Hope one day all software will be open

Comment

Originally posted by Hari
            I got it running: I went to K-Applications-System-Additional Drivers. They showed up in the list, 2 of them:
            NVIDIA accelerated graphic driver (version 173), and
            NVIDIA accelerated graphic driver (version current) [Recommended].
            Both were not activated. So I activated the Recommended one. After reboot, now I can enter the game with 'no problems' (-dxlevel 81). Game runs smoothly on servers but as an old player I can feel some mouse/keyboard input lag. Is this due to running TF2 through Wine?

Is the graphic driver version 173 newer/better than this current version?
            no, I believe it is the older driver for older cards
            You may want to go into the game's settings and perhaps adjust some of the details down, etc, until you find what works better for you. Even try turning off desktop effects to see if that helps (ctrl-shift-f12 toggles it off/on in KDE). Even try skipping the --dxlevel option. nicely

I just reinstalled steam using my onboard ati chip/open driver, and HL1 runs pretty nicely, surprisingly, though anything heavier does not play , as I expected. Using the fglrx makes those playable, though

Of course i have now used up most of my day off fiddling with games now
            hl1 ftw

Comment

Working...
            X