Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install penumbra overture (solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install penumbra overture (solved)

A while back I purchased the Humble Indie Bundle. I just got around to downloading the first game and can't figure out how to install it. All I got was a text file called:

penumbra_overture_1.1.download

Not even a readme file. I searched Penumbra's website for Linux installation instructions, but can only find issues with the installer answers. What installer? All I got was a text file which I assume is the game code.

Anyone know what the very first thing I should do to install this?

Re: How to install penumbra overture

Have you looked at the file? Is it a text file (readable)?

You should have a .sh file in the games folder in your /home directory.

You could join Frictional Games Forum
    and search their Frictional Games Forum / Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague & Requiem / Technical Support / Linux - Technical Support board.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the post Snowhog.

I thought I should have an .sh file to, but no dice just a text file with no extension.
      Just to double check I did a search for *.sh with Dolphin and couldn't find any new .sh files on my computer.

Here is a sample of what is in it:

# UNDONE: Check for other ways to find md5 checker
      # UNDONE: Throw message incase no md5 checker was found.
      MS_Check()
      {
      OLD_PATH="$PATH"
      PATH=${GUESS_MD5_PATH:-"$OLD_PATH:/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/local/ssl/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/openssl/bin"}

# Added: Better way to get MD5 sum
      MD5CMD="`which md5sum 2>/dev/null`"
      if [ ! -f "$MD5CMD" ]; then
      if [ -f "`which md5 2>/dev/null`" ]; then
      MD5CMD="`which md5`"
      elif [ -f "`which digest 2>/dev/null`" ]; then
      MD5CMD="`which digest` -a md5"
      fi
      fi

Looks like code.

I been on their forum and can't find anything that will help. Seems like I must just be stupid, as everyone else can at least get to a point where their install fails. I don't even know what to do to start installing.

Anyway if my favourite forum can't figure this out either I will post on theirs.

What kind of company doesn't offer and .deb or .rpm. It it really that hard to package software?

What distro are you using, as Kubuntu didn't put a games folder in my home directory?

Comment

When I bought their trilogy all I had to do was copy the file structure to my home account. In each of the three subdirectories contained an executable binary.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I just thought of something. Maybe the link from the webpage is linked wring. Maybe it downloads the source code, instead of the executable.

Comment

I never had to compile the Penumbra trilogy. The source code for that package would be hundreds of megabytes and it would be insane of them to expect users to compile such a program.

Check the length of the "penumbra_overture_1.1.download" file. It looks to me like it is a download link, not the file that is to be downloaded. A link would be less than a few kilobytes. An application would be in the order of 50MB to 250MB.

They probably wanted you to click on the link, not right click and download it.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Here is the verdict form the supplier

"Hey there, .download usually indicates that the browser has not
              finished the download. It is an intermediate file created by FireFox
              or Chrome."

So it was a partial file of 286.3 mg

I downloaded again with both Chrome and FireFox at the same time. When both said completed, Chrome gave me another text file and FireFox gave me a .sh file. Weird.

Anyway I got what I need now. Thanks for reassuring me that something was not right.

Comment

Re: How to install penumbra overture (solved)

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                X