This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Linux is sexist"

I've just been informed by my wife that linux is sexist because "there are no FEMALE games". When asked what "female games" meant, she replied with "You know, games *I'D* play." So does anyone have any recommendations on free "tycoon" style games, or Sims type games? Nothing too intensive though, she's running 10.04 on a computer with a 2.4 GHz processor, 1Gb of memory, and an nvidia geforce 5200fx.

Re: "Linux is sexist"

Heh heh heh. Good one!

OK, I am going to give you two pieces of information, and I think you already know or suspect the first one:

- your wife is very, very smart!

- she has already found a fun Linux game, and YOU are it. The name of this game is "Bring Me A Rock". The rules are very simple -- she makes a demand for delivery of a generalized solution to a problem statement, but gives no definite specifications for the particular solution that she has in mind. You naively accept the assignment and proceed to burn time and energy seeking a satisfactory result. You deliver one after another proposed solution. She finds a deficiency with each and every proposed solution that you deliver. You mindlessly continue producing more proposed solutions. She enjoys your expenditure of time and energy, but never accepts any proposed solution as being satisfactory.

Have fun!

p.s. The "Bring Me A Rock" game ends when you get tired of it.

Comment

I have to offer up an alternate theory, though I find dibl's to be quite likely.

Your wife is sexist. Games are not inherently male or female. I play plenty of games on my computer. Last I checked, I am most certainly female. *checks again, finds all the right parts* Yep, most certainly female here.

However, I choose not to help you participate in her "bring me a rock" game by suggesting things like World of Goo, Frozen Bubble, Ksudoku, KPatience and the like.

Comment

dibl, it sounds like you have considerable experience with women

Comment

Originally posted by wfischer
          dibl, it sounds like you have considerable experience with women
          Well, I won't go there, except to say that I've been happily married to my second wife for 29 years.

The "Bring Me A Rock" game is gender-neutral. I've seen guys in the workplace, who were in a management position enjoy playing it with the less experienced of their subordinates. Having been a loser at that particular game a time or two, I don't play it any more. Once in awhile it is still necessary to advise a wannabe player with a demand for a rock that I'm not interested in the game, and invite him to spell out exactly what his requirements are.

Comment

Well, I don't know if she'd played lincity-ng before. You could also get some SNES games ROMs or something the like and see if she likes them, but I still need to agree with dibl, "Bring Me A Rock" is a very tiresome game...
            Multibooting: Kubuntu Jammy 22.04
            Before: Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
            Win / & 10 sadly
            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Haha! MY wife's favorite game is Cabella's Big Game Hunter, luckily its a PS2 game

She actually enjoys a number of the kde games as well.

So this sexist thing is pure bunk

Comment

I've known linux was sexist since I ran man woman, and got nothing. conversely, man man is full of useful information.
                # make install --not-war

Comment

Code:
                  $woman man
                  woman: command not found

Comment

Working...
                  X