This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you trust this Gaming Site?

Subject says it all. Anyone else here trust the games recommended?

http://linuxappfinder.com/games

Re: Do you trust this Gaming Site?

WHOIS says that it is a twocows registered site and netcraft says it is in a block owned by Amazon.com.

It is running two servers with Apache on Fedora and one with Apache/FrontPage on FreeBSD.

BUT, that doesn't say anything about how the games are vetted. I would first check to see if the game is in the repository for Kubuntu, or any other debian based distro.

If I were going to try a game from that site I'd install it in a virtual host and check it with an av checker. Before I install or run it I would run rkhunter and chkrootkit. Then I would run them AFTER I ran the game to see if they find anything suspicious.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If you go to the site and check the links for the debian/buntu download links they are debian/buntu repositories.

I would venture to say they are safe, but are likely already listed in your package manager.
      Using Linux since 1999<br />Current system openSUSE 11.3 <br />Toshiba A505-S6035<br />Intel core i7, Nvidia 300m GT<br />4 gigs of DDR3, SATA 500 gig 7200 rpm hard drive

Comment

Strange... I went several links down on several of them and didn't find any that used the archive.canonical.com/ubuntu repository.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I noticed that and is why I posted this. I've used outside repositories before but here of late with so many sites being "contaminated" I'm a little apprehensive.

Comment

It's smart to be cautious.

That's why I defer to the Ubuntu or other FOSS debian repositories, and to some commercial sites, like Skype, for example. In my experience TUCOWS is mainly a Windows DL site with a spotty record. Apparently I am not alone.

Comment

Interesting link there. Does make you wonder.

Comment

I've been using Linuxappfinder for a long time and haven't had any problems and the packages are virus-free. It really is a safe site

Dunno what you guys are doing, but most of the games link to archive.canonical.com/ubuntu
                They even have apt: links (just click on Install Now).
                Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Take a look!

[img width=400 height=276]http://a.imageshack.us/img693/2739/linuxappfinder.png[/img]

The thing is not all of them are available in the official repos...
                    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Linuxappfinder generally has good apps.

However, I absolutely share your concern.

There are a lot of apps from private sites which I am not sure I should trust or not.

That's why I use a quarantined OS for them.

On most of my computers I have several partitions on the hard drive. I use one Kubuntu installation as my main OS (and have a spare Windows partition as well), but in addition I have a second and thrid partition in which I have duplicate Kubuntu OS's installed.

I use one of these duplicate Kubuntu OS's in which to install and run games and apps I might not otherwise trust. I never put any sensitive files on these partitions, and if they were to be hacked or suspicious in any way, I merely overwrite the partition completely.

Starting in Lucid, I think, it is not possible to access the other partitions on the hard drive without a password, which affords some protection from a hacker (that does get in) accessing data on the other hard drives.

Some games require opening up many firewall ports, something I never do in my primary secure OS.

So by having a parallel OS, I can open up the firewall ports and play games, install possibly questionable apps and visit websites of dubious heritage yet still not risk my sensitive data.

I highly, highly recommend this approach, and it can only be done with Linux OS's, not with Windows.

Some people do the same thing using virtual machines, but this makes games run more slowly and, of course, a virtual machine is reliant on the host OS, and there are some minor security concerns in doing this, as well.

I don't even use Wubi, because that means Windows is running in the background.

For info on how I set up my system to have multiple partitions, each running a separate OS, see

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Multiple_OS_Installation

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                      and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                      X