X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard Games?

Hello,

I'm pretty new to the linux based operating systems, and I was wondering if I could be able to install games such as :

Solitaire, etc..

Thank you in advance

Re: Standard Games?

Yup. What version of Kubuntu are you running?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm running the latest version that is downloadable on www.kubuntu.com

Comment

"The latest" would be Lucid Lynx - Kubuntu 10.04. The package manager it comes with - kpackagekit - isn't the best. You would be well served to install Synaptic instead. It is a much better package manager. So begin by opening a console. Just press Alt+F2 and type konsole. When the console window opens, type:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install synaptic
        After synaptic is installed, close the console by typing exit. You'll find Synaptic in the K Menu under System. Or, you can launch it, again, by pressing Alt+F2 and typing synaptic. Enter your user password when prompted. Once Synaptic is loaded, type a search term in the Quick search window. You can limit the search to categories, and in this case, to Games, by scrolling in the Sections window and clicking on Games and Amusment (or subsequently, Games and Amusment (multiverse) or Games and Amusment (universe)). Just click on a displayed package in the other window to see the description below. If it is something you think you want, click in the small box to the left of the package name and select Mark for Installation and click on Apply to install it.

All games get installed in the K Menu under Applications > Games.

Comment

kpat is a package you likely want to install.

kpat
          KPatience is a collection of fourteen solitaire card games, including Klondike,
          Spider, and FreeCell.

Comment

Ok,

well I did those commands and got this :

Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree
            Reading state information... Done
            You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
            The following packages have unmet dependencies:
            sun-java6-jre: Depends: sun-java6-bin (= 6-15-1) but it is not going to be installed or
            ia32-sun-java6-bin (= 6-15-1) but it is not installable
            Recommends: gsfonts-x11 but it is not going to be installed
            synaptic: Depends: libglade2-0 (>= 1:2.6.1) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: liblaunchpad-integration1 (>= 0.1.17) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: libvte9 (>= 1:0.22.0) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: scrollkeeper
            Recommends: libgnome2-perl but it is not going to be installed
            Recommends: software-properties-gtk but it is not going to be installed
            E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Comment

Hmm.

Okay. Launch KPackageKit. K Menu > Applications > System > KPackageKit
              Enter your password.
              Click on Settings then click on Edit Software Sources.
              Click to check the buttons to the left of Community-maintainted Open Source software (universe) and Software restricted by copyright or legal issues (mulitverse)
              Click on the Other Software tab. If the CD-ROM is listed and still checked, either uncheck it or click the Remove button.
              Click Close. The package cache should be updated. Close KPackageKit.

Open a console again and rerun my previous commands I posted.

Comment

Yeah, so why didn't you do

sudo apt-get -f install

like it told you to do?

That will fix all the dependencies.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

You can also download the KDE Games packet which contains lot more games (from sudoku and KiGo to four in lines, solitaire etc.)

All you have to do is to open Konsole and type:

Code:
                  sudo apt-get install kdegames
                  This will download the kde desktop games suite. if you also use "--simulate" option, the install will be only simulated and you'll be see the list of games to be installed, before you install them

Comment

Originally posted by Damo
                    Hello,

I'm pretty new to the linux based operating systems, and I was wondering if I could be able to install games such as :

Solitaire, etc..

Thank you in advance
                    Welcome to Kubuntu. That kpat is a great little pack of card games. I install that on all my KDE installs. I love the Freecell, and Forty Thieves.
                    Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                    X