This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starcraft with Wine

I'm currently in my fourth week of using Kubuntu (though the first three were during exams so not a lot of usage) and am not regretting dropping windows for a second. However I am trying to get some games to work using wine. I have managed to install starcraft however when I wine starcraft.exe I get the error: Application tries to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
    Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly. Presumably I need to get my x server running. This is undoubtably a stupid question but what is an x server and how do I get it running. Thanks, The Goose (not because I wish I was a dead pilot/navigator but because my name nearly sounds like it)

Re: Starcraft with Wine

I suspect you'll get performance on games with Cedega than with Wine. I don't say this from ppersonal experience though because I'm not a gamer. I'm just reporting what gamers say. The only problem is that Cedega is not free in either the sense of free beer or free speech.

The xserver is the program that controls your graphical display, your keyboard and your mouse. If your xserver isn't running you must be looking at a black & white, full screen text terminal. If that's the case, run the command "startx" to umm, start X. If, however, your xserver IS running and you're looking at this message in a linux web browser like Firefox, your Wine installation is messed up.

Comment

Re: Starcraft with Wine

What version of Wine and Kubuntu are you using?
      X server is graphics server on which KDE runs as a display manager.

Comment

Working...
      X