This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play Starcraft natively on Linux!

My Disclamier: I am not affiliated with the project in any way and just thought I'd make this post to let anyone interested know about it since no one else had yet.

I am very pleased to announce the release of version 0.1 of Stargus! You are now able to play Starcraft natively in Linux! Eventually (assuming development stays active) it will supersede the need to use Wine to play Starcraft.

"Stargus is a Starcraft Mod that allows you to play Starcraft with the Stratagus engine, as opposed to play it with the original Starcraft one. So unless you have a legal copy of Starcraft, Stargus will be pretty useless to you, since it doesn't come with any graphics or sounds itself. So why play Starcraft with the Stratagus engine instead of the original Starcraft one? There are numerous reasons. It allows you to play Starcraft under Linux and other operating systems not supported by the original Starcraft engine. Also the Stratagus engine allows you to tweak numerous parameters so you can play around with different unit strength and such.
    Since Stargus uses a different engine, the game will not be an exact replica of the original Starcraft. If you want the original unchanged Starcraft experience, you will still have to run the original game."

Don't misunderstand this though, this is only version 0.1 so it is still very incomplete and prone to issues. Although I have ran it on Kubuntu Gutsy so far without issue.

To clarify, here is what is complete and what is not:
    * All of the Terran units have been added although not all of the features work yet
    * Sounds and music work
    * In-game menus are mostly finished

* Protoss and Zerg have not been added yet
    * Campaigns do not work
    * The Computer AI is very simple
    * Videos do not work
    * Tileset flags are not working so it's possible to walk over all terrain

Get it here!: http://stargus.sourceforge.net/install.shtml

Requirements:
    Original Starcraft CD, Stratagus (I'd recommend compiling from source since the latest version in the Ubuntu Repos is outdated), and Stargus.
    Read the aforementioned page for installation instructions.

DISCLAIMER:
    Stargus is not an official Blizzard product, it's a Starcraft modification, by Starcraft fans for Starcraft fans. You need a copy of the original Starcraft version to make use of Stargus. Starcraft is a registered trademark of Blizzard Entertainment.
    <br />

Re: Play Starcraft natively on Linux!

Wow, looks very interesting. What about network playing?

Comment

Compiled everything, game starts but when I try to play it crashes:

Code:
      Can't open file 'maps/(2)Challenger.smp': No such file or directory
      Can't open file: No such file or directory
      Can't load the graphic `tilesets/fog.png'

Comment

@ LeeJohns8
        networking hasn't been implemented yet.

@chaotic
        i got that error the first time too. you didn't follow the instructions correctly. please review the instructions and follow it to the letter.
        <br />

Comment

Working...
        X