This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 19.04 and Python

I've recently moved my self away from Python2 to Python3. Seems all items I've used in Py2 have been ported to Py3 so went for it.

So, currently after my upgrade to 19.04 I still have all Py2 items.

Is it safe to remove ALL Py2? There are no OS dependencies on PY2?

You can have multiple versions of Python, and I'm pretty sure the OS requires Python. I don't do Python coding, but this is what I have on my (18.04) machine:
    Code:
    john@john-Desktop:/media/john$ ls /usr/bin/*python*
    /usr/bin/dh_python2        /usr/bin/python3.6          /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-python2.7-config
    /usr/bin/dh_python3        /usr/bin/python3.6-config   /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-python3.6-config
    /usr/bin/python            /usr/bin/python3.6m         /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-python3.6m-config
    /usr/bin/python2           /usr/bin/python3.6m-config  /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-python3-config
    /usr/bin/python2.7         /usr/bin/python3-config     /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-python3m-config
    /usr/bin/python2.7-config  /usr/bin/python3m           /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-python-config
    /usr/bin/python2-config    /usr/bin/python3m-config
    /usr/bin/python3           /usr/bin/python-config
    Based on what I see in Synaptic, 18.04 comes with python 2.7 installed and configured, and you can check what you have 19.04. You don't need to remove Python 2 just to accommodate Python 3.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thanks! I kind of know that however, I run my programs a lot though CLI and by default that is Python 2 but I think that is hold over from 18.04.

What I've read about making Py3 default there was setting up alternatives but read a lot of bad things there because an OS relied on Py2.

Not sure how accurate any of those are really. So really is main reason me asking. Maybe should have stated this originally too.

Again, thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X