This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article - Behind the scenes with Linux containers

The article describes, in deep detail, how Containers work AND how to configure one without using the more recent GUI container tools such as Docker, OpenShift and Kubernetes.

https://opensource.com/article/18/11...nux-containers

I confess that I was unaware of the LXC utility which is in most repositories.

Be aware that there is also the LXD utility, a "next generation" container management tool.

In the interest of increased security, I may explore LXC/LXD on my systems.

You can follow the link to the LXC website and find documentation among much other information including the LXD utility.
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Containers are crucial to Kubuntu development.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

How so? I'd like to know more about this.
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
        How so? I'd like to know more about this.
        - Kubuntu CI server uses docker containers to provide a clean source package build environment for 1,000s of test builds per week.
        - Kubuntu CI also uses LXD containers to provide 2 extra remote source package build nodes to spread the load from the main server, in which the docker containers run.
        - Kubuntu developers use remote packaging containers to do manual source builds and tests, on a server where upload/download is faster than you can manage with most normal connections.
        - Ubuntu launchpad build and autopkgtest builders/runners use LXD containers to perform builds for some architectures.
        - Some of the other services under the Ubuntu infra likely use containers for their deployment.
        - And likely more that I forget right now...
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X