Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Konsole command -e How to get to the Dollar prompt

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • shag00
    replied
    Originally posted by jlittle View Post
    No. For efficiency with multiple konsole windows it is supposed to run with one instance managing all the windows, and with --nofork you get an independent process. (I say "supposed" because without --nofork I still get lots of processes.) There's still a new shell running in each window. Shells achieve efficiency for lots of them in other ways, though some are better at it than others; IME multiple zsh instances are slower than multiple bash ones (only relevant if you start many of them, dozens or hundreds, like some people do tabs in a browser).
    OK thanks, that's what I found as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • jlittle
    replied
    Originally posted by shag00 View Post
    As an aside, the --separate option, the console reference book https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/appli...e-options.html states:

    --separate, --noforkRun the new instance of Konsole in a separate process.

    Should this be interpreted as running the process in a new shell?
    No. For efficiency with multiple konsole windows it is supposed to run with one instance managing all the windows, and with --nofork you get an independent process. (I say "supposed" because without --nofork I still get lots of processes.) There's still a new shell running in each window. Shells achieve efficiency for lots of them in other ways, though some are better at it than others; IME multiple zsh instances are slower than multiple bash ones (only relevant if you start many of them, dozens or hundreds, like some people do tabs in a browser).

    Leave a comment:


  • shag00
    replied
    @jlittle, thank you very much for your reply. The "ls" example I gave is just for simplicity, getting the dollar prompt was the important thing. What I am doing is creating a desktop launcher for a CLI only windows program I need to run with wine. Just running a 1 liner from the launcher I find to be preferable to creating a script so I went with:
    Code:
    Exec=konsole --separate --hold --workdir ~/.wine -e bash -c "WINEPREFIX=~/.wine/eac3to wine cmd"
    which puts me in a new window at the z: prompt.

    Another application is to use a script with K-shutdown that displays the the command to cancel it in a new window, ready to go. Good for when I am half asleep and watching the news.

    As an aside, the --separate option, the console reference book https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/appli...e-options.html states:

    --separate, --noforkRun the new instance of Konsole in a separate process.

    Should this be interpreted as running the process in a new shell?

    Leave a comment:


  • jlittle
    replied
    konsole -e runs a command instead of a shell (which gives the prompt). So the -e has to run ls and a shell. One way to do this would be
    Code:
    konsole --separate --hold --workdir / -e "$SHELL -c 'ls;$SHELL'"
    I'm scratching my head as to why you'd want to do that.

    Better maybe, to get away from the tricky quoting issues, and make it more flexible, would be to make a script, called, say, lssh, with
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ls
    exec $SHELL
    chmod +x lssh and put it somewhere in your $PATH, then use -e lssh

    Leave a comment:


  • shag00
    started a topic Konsole command -e How to get to the Dollar prompt

    Konsole command -e How to get to the Dollar prompt

    Kubuntu 18.04.01.

    If I enter:
    Code:
    Code:
    konsole --separate --hold --workdir /
    I get a new Konsole window with the cursor positioned to the right of the Dollar prompt, as expected at the root directory.

    If I type this command:
    Code:
    Code:
    konsole --separate --hold --workdir / -e ls
    it gives the expected output but no Dollar prompt.

    So my question is how to modify the 2nd command to produce the output and then present the Dollar prompt.

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X