Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An idea for KWin/KDE (that I'd love to be part of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An idea for KWin/KDE (that I'd love to be part of)

Hello.

I have this idea that I think could be neat for KDE/KWin. I'm no tech savvy but I would like to be part of making it and learning the ins and outs. The idea is pretty simple and almost already implemented* ( and tbh, I think I've seen it on a competitive DE already). I wrote a quick mock up for it and I believe most mechanics is there to implement but I'm not sure.

So here's the mock up ....

Simple idea for a implementation of a quick window-tiler addition for KWin.

Concept is that there should show a small window over the max/min button on the present window. Either on hover (on today hover KWin give “restore/maximize” feedback to the user) or right-click (which today give left-click).
    That this would instead give the options to tile the window with different settings. Settings would be within the framework of already implemented functions of tiling in KWin.

While the already implemented “snap-to-side” have the fullscreen, top-left , left and more options, this would give users yet more options. Like bottom down “window-snap” (or to taskbar) isn’t an option right now and move windows to (specific parts of) optional screens and/or workspaces, depending on user preferences.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mockup_teliQ_simple001.png Views:	0 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	663574Fig. A) Example with a one screen, one workspace environment, 4 options are viable (where upper left option is selected).

With multiple screens and desktops the options would change. If possible also depending on tiled windows, options to tile should change. For instance with fig. A, if the user have a top-right tiled window that option should be excluded.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mockup_teliQ_dual001.png Views:	0 Size:	75.9 KB ID:	663569
    Fig. B) Example with dual screens, one workspace environment, 8 options are viable, (where upper left option is selected).

While it could be preferable for some users to have the option to select each of their screens and desktops it may not be viable to give that option(or maybe it should be, let users brake their own ****?).
    It may not be necessary to give multiple options to a (screen)local task. Mind the option to size/tile the window is (should be?) mainly to the current space of work. Regardless of this, there should always be options to the user.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mockup_teliQ_several_desks001.png Views:	0 Size:	107.6 KB ID:	663571
    Fig C.) Above options but with dual monitors and four desktops (tile selections is “desktop 3, screen 1, upper left).

Of course should the full scale window be an option even though this is already implemented with drag and release to top. Thus with the option (on delay?) to maximize window on both screens.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mockup_teliQ_simple002.png Views:	0 Size:	57.2 KB ID:	663573
    Fig D) Single screen, full size selected.

As mentioned above it's not much more then already implemented, since there are "move to screen/desktop" already. But I believe it would be a neat feature with a small screen with options.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mockup_teliQ_several_desks003.png Views:	0 Size:	61.1 KB ID:	663575
    fig E) KDE/KWin's "move to desktop/screen".

That's my idea, and I hope to be part of making it (at least be part of the process somehow).

Best regards

Jonas

Edit/PS: I honestly don't know why these "attached files" got there below and I'm too tired to bother right now.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jonas; Jun 09, 2022, 05:33 PM.
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

I am so confused and have no idea what any of this means. I also would not have any use for such a thing. I guess if you use multiple desktops a lot and have specific needs for predetermined window placements for open windows or apps it might be useful. But honestly, I really don't know. Just seems confusing. I think it would be better as a separate independent program you can run that can interface with kwin if you really need it.

Comment

There are already a (relatively) decent number of tiling scripts for Kwin on the KDE store , and probably on github/gitlab, so the actual tiling part is probably already at least fairly well fleshed out.
      The part needed would be to get someone to add buttons to the window decoration that does this.

This might be the hard part, as tiling is a fairly keyboard-centric method of window management. meta+arrow_keys, for example (without using any Kwin scripting)

But in any case, this sort of topic actually belongs over with KDE devs, as Kubuntu itself doesn't really do this sort of work. or not much. Say Reddit, KDE's forums (maybe), and def various KDE mailing lists. No one in KDE-land will see anything happening here.

Random, semi-related:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...ling_in_zones/
      https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/m4ro54/plasma_5_button_for_windows_tiling/
      Last edited by claydoh; Jun 10, 2022, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Sorry for late reply, been busy.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        There are already a (relatively) decent number of tiling scripts for Kwin on the KDE store , and probably on github/gitlab, so the actual tiling part is probably already at least fairly well fleshed out.
        The part needed would be to get someone to add buttons to the window decoration that does this.

This might be the hard part, as tiling is a fairly keyboard-centric method of window management. meta+arrow_keys, for example (without using any Kwin scripting)
        Yes, looking at your links there are more options with tiling then I knew about. However (as you also mentioned) the basic idea is to implement something "easy access" on the window/title bar. Maybe it's not KWin related at all. I don't really have the know-how but had an idea and eager to learn, thus the post.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        But in any case, this sort of topic actually belongs over with KDE devs, as Kubuntu itself doesn't really do this sort of work. or not much. Say Reddit, KDE's forums (maybe), and def various KDE mailing lists. No one in KDE-land will see anything happening here.
        I have an account on KDE forums (not been using for a long while) and looked into the KDE and KWin channels and spoke some Niccolò Ve. However there's always good input from people on this forum so I thought I may as well post something here (and by all means this is a quite KDE-centric forum ). I also thought that someone here were involved in KDE devs, but I guess I was wrong. I'll see if I can make something of it and learn and contribute to KDE, which was the key thing with the post.

Thanks for input!

Best regards

/Jonas

ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
        Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
        Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
        Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
        - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
        >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
        X