This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eight lethal Linux commands

Warning: ADMINISTRATIVE WARNING! SOME/ALL OF THE COMMANDS IDENTIFIED IN THIS THREAD ARE DANGEROUS AND COULD/CAN RESULT IN IRREVERSIBLE HARM TO YOUR SYSTEM. THE CONTENT OF THIS THREAD IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.

and part 2

Last edited by Snowhog; May 12, 2016, 09:57 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Warning: ADMINISTRATIVE WARNING! SOME/ALL OF THE COMMANDS IDENTIFIED IN THIS THREAD ARE DANGEROUS AND COULD/CAN RESULT IN IRREVERSIBLE HARM TO YOUR SYSTEM. THE CONTENT OF THIS THREAD IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.

The guy in the video forgot to mention another deadly command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    KDE simply makes your PC inoperable (just like Windows)
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 12, 2016, 09:58 AM.

Comment

The fork bomb code is a lot easier to understand if you rewrite it a bit.

from
      Code:
      :(){ :|: & };:
      to
      Code:
      fork() {
          fork | fork &
      };
      fork
      Also, unless you can deploy it to run at boot, it only needs a hard reset to get rid of it. Additionally, the old favourite rm -rf / has potentially become even more lethal than it used to be if your PC is UEFI. Essentially it can remove from the /sys directory, the firmware that UEFI needs to boot from external media. One bricked PC with no recovery!
      Last edited by Snowhog; May 12, 2016, 09:58 AM.
      If you're sitting wondering,
      Which Batman is the best,
      There's only one true answer my friend,
      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Nice videos! Very informative in fact.
        Last edited by Snowhog; May 12, 2016, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
          The guy in the video forgot to mention another deadly command
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
          KDE simply makes your PC inoperable (just like Windows)

I've used that before in 9.04 and 12.04. Didn't cause any problems IIRC.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
            ... Additionally, the old favourite rm -rf / has potentially become even more lethal than it used to be if your PC is UEFI. Essentially it can remove from the /sys directory, the firmware that UEFI needs to boot from external media. One bricked PC with no recovery!
            The video demonstrates that in Ubuntu distros the rm -rf / command has been disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              The video demonstrates that in Ubuntu distros the rm -rf / command has been disabled.
              It also shows that you can over-ride it; hence "potentially"
              It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

rm -rf is disabled? I use it a lot with no trouble... I think its disabled in root, but not globally.

Comment

rm -rf / is blocked which as you say is the root directory.
                  It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                    It also shows that you can over-ride it; hence "potentially"
                    In some distros, but not Ubuntu or its derivatives.
                    Last edited by Snowhog; May 12, 2016, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      In some distros, but not Ubuntu or its derivatives.
                      Well, you have to make an effort and use --no-preserve-root; I don't remember him trying that and I'm not going to!
                      Last edited by Snowhog; May 12, 2016, 10:00 AM.
                      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Code:
                        python -c 'import os; os.system("".join([chr(ord(i)-1) for i in "sn!.sg!+"]))'
                        A python ver. of the rm -rf * kind of trick .

VINNY
                        Last edited by Snowhog; May 12, 2016, 10:01 AM.
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          Code:
                          python -c 'import os; os.system("".join([chr(ord(i)-1) for i in "sn!.sg!+"]))'
                          A python ver. of the rm -rf * kind of trick .

VINNY
                          That's kind of brain melting at this hour of the AM but beautifully simple as the caffeine flows.
                          Last edited by Snowhog; May 12, 2016, 10:02 AM.
                          It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

nice warning ,,,,,,,,I got my list of these things off the Ubuntu forums where it's contained in a single post with a similar warning ,,,,, including that fork bomb .

I also have a video on the forum hear somewhere of "rm rf /bin" running on Netrunner-16 ,,,,I think.

he he I launched the fork bomb to try it ,,,,,,,,,,a long time ago ,,,, the system did indeed finally crawl to a stop ,,,,,,,,and was ok on a restart

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

ya hear it is ,,,,,,,, the vid of rm -rf /bin running

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post367553

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                              X