This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help booting from iso via grub

I want to be able to boot GParted (latest) from grub so I don't have to burn a LiveCD/USB. The following 40_custom file isn't working.
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    # menuentry "Name of OS here"{
    #       set root='(hd0,x)'
    #       configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    #}
    menuentry "Gparted live" {
          set isofile="/home/paul/Downloads/ISOs/gparted-live-0.22.0-1-amd64.iso"
          loopback loop $isofile
          linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live config union=aufs noswap noprompt ip=frommedia toram=filesystem.squashfs iso-scan/filename=$isofile
          initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
        }
    After I select Gparted live from the grub menu, the first error says it cannot find the iso. The set isofile= entry is correct.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Don't you have to tell it the partition?
    Something like
    Code:
    [S]loopback loop $isofile[/S]
    loopback loop (hd0,5)$isofile
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

This gets me as far as asking about the keyboard map and what language I want, and the video detection, but then it never runs x, so I'm left with a black screen and a blinking underline in the upper left corner.
      Code:
      menuentry "GParted Live" {
            set isofile="/boot/iso/gparted-live-0.22.0-1-amd64.iso"
            loopback loop (hd0,5)$isofile
            linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live config union=aufs noswap noprompt vga=788 ip=frommedia toram=filesystem.squashfs findiso=$isofile
            initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
            }
      I created the directory /boot/iso (sudo mkdir) and copied the iso (sudo cp) to that directory.

Comment

There may be some ideas and details here:
        http://gparted.org/livehd.php
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/ISOBoot

I haven't read or tried any of this with GRUB2. Also note the occasional notes if you have UEFI (re efi).
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks, but still a no-go. Still the same results as I noted in post #3.

I can boot gparted, and it prompts me for language, input, and video parameters. Then, when trying to start X, it fails no matter what resolution or driver I choose.
            Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 05, 2015, 04:15 PM.

Comment

You may have also seen and tried this troubleshooting outline,
              http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?n...g-gparted-live

Comment

Thanks Mike, but that's for when you boot from a LiveCD/USB and are at the graphical menu after a successful boot.

Other posts I've found on the 'Net concerning booting the Gparted iso from your HDD complain too, about x not starting. Haven't found a solution yet.

Comment

sory @Snowhog ,,,,,,I cant seam to get it to boot past the text setup either with a menu entry or grml-rescueboot ,,,,,,,, started trying yesterday.

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

still no joy ,,,,,,,,tried different recipes for 3hr's

the live USB made with dd works well

will try the dedicated vfat partition thing with the .zip file tomorrow

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                    X