This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qt de

What is the name of the QT development environment in the repos?

maby ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show qtcreator
    Package: qtcreator
    Priority: optional
    Section: universe/devel
    Installed-Size: 55.3 MB
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Original-Maintainer: Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>
    Version: 3.0.1-0ubuntu4
    Depends: libbotan-1.10-0, libqt5concurrent5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5declarative5, libqt5designercomponents5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5help5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5printsupport5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5script5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5sql5-sqlite, libqt5svg5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5xml5 (>= 5.2.0), qtdeclarative5-controls-plugin, libc6 (>= 2.15), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libqt5core5a (>= 5.2.0), libqt5designer5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5network5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5qml5 (>= 5.2.0~beta1), libqt5quick5 (>= 5.1.0), libqt5sql5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5webkit5, libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.2.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.6), qtbase-abi-5-2-1, qtdeclarative-abi-5-2-1
    Recommends: g++, gdb, make, qmlscene, qt5-default, qt5-qmake, qtbase5-dev, qtbase5-dev-tools, qtcreator-doc, qtcreator-plugin-cmake, qtcreator-plugin-remotelinux, qtcreator-plugin-valgrind, qtcreator-plugin-qnx, qtdeclarative5-dev, xterm | x-terminal-emulator
    Suggests: cmake, git, kdelibs5-data, qtquick1-5-dev, qtquick1-5-dev-tools, subversion, ubuntu-sdk
    Breaks: qtcreator-plugin-ubuntu (<= 2.9.0~)
    Download-Size: 12.1 MB
    Homepage: http://qt-project.org/
    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
    Origin: Ubuntu
    APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages
    Description: lightweight integrated development environment (IDE) for Qt
     Qt Creator is a new, lightweight, cross-platform integrated development
     environment (IDE) designed to make development with the Qt application
     framework even faster and easier.
     It includes:
      * An advanced C++ code editor
      * Integrated GUI layout and forms designer
      * Project and build management tools
      * Integrated, context-sensitive help system
      * Visual debugger
      * Rapid code navigation tools
      * Supports multiple platforms
    VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

qt-sdk
      This meta-package provides a complete Qt Software Development Kit. Tools cover IDE, revision control, debugging and documentation.
      qtcreator is part of the IDE.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you two!

Comment

How different is QT from Python language wise?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
            How different is QT from Python language wise?
            Qt is a cross-platform application framework that has bindings (Qt 4, Qt 5) for many underlying languages, including Python. The advantage of using an application framework is that it abstracts much of the individual interpreters or compilers and allows applications to perform at native speeds.

Comment

Good. Thanks!

Comment

In addition to what Steve said, the UI developer (qt-designer) is a drag and drop development operation where each object (control) has methods which can be subclassed and properties which can be set during the UI creation, or with methods, adjusted by the user of the application. The big feature of Qt is "signals and slots":

Signals and slots are used for communication between objects. The signals and slots mechanism is a central feature of Qt and probably the part that differs most from the features provided by other frameworks. Signals and slots are made possible by Qt's meta-object system.
                In GUI programming, when we change one widget, we often want another widget to be notified. More generally, we want objects of any kind to be able to communicate with one another. For example, if a user clicks a Close button, we probably want the window's close() function to be called.
                Other toolkits achieve this kind of communication using callbacks. A callback is a pointer to a function, so if you want a processing function to notify you about some event you pass a pointer to another function (the callback) to the processing function. The processing function then calls the callback when appropriate. While successful frameworks using this method do exist, callbacks can be unintuitive and may suffer from problems in ensuring the type-correctness of callback arguments.
                The string-based SIGNAL and SLOT syntax will detect type mismatches at runtime. Signals and slots are loosely coupled: A class which emits a signal neither knows nor cares which slots receive the signal. Qt's signals and slots mechanism ensures that if you connect a signal to a slot, the slot will be called with the signal's parameters at the right time. Signals and slots can take any number of arguments of any type. They are completely type safe.
                All classes that inherit from QObject or one of its subclasses (e.g., QWidget) can contain signals and slots. Signals are emitted by objects when they change their state in a way that may be interesting to other objects. This is all the object does to communicate. It does not know or care whether anything is receiving the signals it emits. This is true information encapsulation, and ensures that the object can be used as a software component.
                Slots can be used for receiving signals, but they are also normal member functions. Just as an object does not know if anything receives its signals, a slot does not know if it has any signals connected to it. This ensures that truly independent components can be created with Qt.
                You can connect as many signals as you want to a single slot, and a signal can be connected to as many slots as you need. It is even possible to connect a signal directly to another signal. (This will emit the second signal immediately whenever the first is emitted.)
                Together, signals and slots make up a powerful component programming mechanism.
                Signals and slots is extremely powerful and make intra-object communication a joy to use. Connections between signals and slots can be turned off and on at will.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I'm going to be learning how to use Qt soon to put a GUI on the C++ app I've been working on.

The more I read about Qt the more I think it's a great investment in time - you can use it in tons of languages and pretty much every platform: Linux (obviously) but also Windows and Mac, Jolla's Sailfish OS and most of the Linux phone distros that preceded it like Maemo/Meego/Mer. Even Android, apparently:

http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/android-support.html
                  Qt for Android enables you to run Qt 5 applications on devices with Android v2.3.3 (API level 10) or later. All Qt modules (essential and add-on) are supported except Qt WebKit, Qt NFC, Qt Serial Port, and the platform-specific ones (Qt Mac Extras, Qt Windows Extras, and Qt X11 Extras).
                  Although I think trying to force Qt into Android is probably not going to give a great look and feel, it's nice that it's an option!
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                    I'm going to be learning how to use Qt soon to put a GUI on the C++ app I've been working on.

The more I read about Qt the more I think it's a great investment in time - you can use it in tons of languages and pretty much every platform: Linux (obviously) but also Windows and Mac, Jolla's Sailfish OS and most of the Linux phone distros that preceded it like Maemo/Meego/Mer.
                    During the 40 years I programmed I've used a lot of gui rad dev tools, starting with Visual Basic 3.0, Powerbuilder, TurboPascal for Win, TurboC for Win and Visual FoxPro 5 & 6 and Oracle's APEX, to name a few.

Far and away the easiest to use and most powerful GUI RAD TOOL that I have ever used is Qt4.

The code is in ASCI text files, not blobs attached to controls, it is easily versioned (using baazar or git), it is truly WYSIWYG, it has full polymorphism (multiple sub-classing), and using QOBJECT inheritance allows your project to have garbage collection, automatic pointer destruction, etc...

Even Android, apparently:

http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/android-support.html

Although I think trying to force Qt into Android is probably not going to give a great look and feel, it's nice that it's an option!
                    Qml development was added during the later half of Qt4 development and is a strong tool in Qt5.

Comment

I just need to find a good How To. Most of my programming is as I've stated, Python, Modula, Pascal, C, Basic and some VB. VB in bound MS applications that is. When it comes to "Windows" type programming I get a little ... hmmm don't know the word... any way a good book. Been looking. Any ideas?

Comment

For on line help there is a forum called QtCentre.Amazon has a good book called C++ GUI Programming With QT4".
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 01, 2015, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks! GG!

Comment

Doing a Google search onf "qt4 programming tutorial" and limiting the result to the last couple of years gives excellent tutorials. Here is a basic approach using QtDesigner: Basic_Qt_Programming_Tutorial

And here is one showing development using only code: Qt Centre Forum (an excellent source of help from experienced users.) It was my go to site when I was learning how to use Qt4.

However, that was ten years ago. Other forums have appeared and become quite popular. Probably the best of the lot is the Qt Progject Forum, which covers programming using the various additional tools that have been added to Qt4 over the years, like Qt Quick, Mobil, Embedded, and others.
                            Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 01, 2015, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              Amazon has a good book called C++ GUI Programming With QT4".
                              I have that book (Second Edition). Think I got it at Borders before they slammed the doors. After blowing the dust off I decided to give it another try. I really need a pre-Dummies book

Still in chapter 1 but I found the examples don’t make using kubuntu 14.10, QT4-QT5 stuff. The solution so far is to add this line to the .pro file:
                              QT += widgets

This site explains it:
                              http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/23425

This site shows how to convert example code to QT5 (based on first edition of the book):
                              http://www.ics.com/blog/porting-desk...5#.VKlx7fm3W91

Ken.
                              Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Working...
                              X