This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the difference between Administrator & Root

I installed Kubuntu 4.11.5 on this computer a few days ago, and when installing was asked for only one password, not a different password to use when in Konsole. I wanted to check the cups/error_file, typed su and, as expected, was asked for a password, so I put in my password, but was denied access. I looked in System Settings>Users and am "checked" as the administrator - Help, what step am I missing?

Root account is locked in *buntus (there is no root password set), the "su" command expects a root password, so it does not accept your account password.

Instead of "su", use "sudo -i" (or "sudo -sH") if you need to get a root shell.

In *buntus, "Administrator" means "user who is authorized to use sudo to run things as root" (in other words, the user is in the "sudo" group).
    Last edited by kubicle; Apr 13, 2014, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
      Root account is locked in *buntus (there is no root password set), the "su" command expects a root password, so it does not accept your account password.

Instead of "su", use "sudo -i" (or "sudo -sH") if you need to get a root shell.

In *buntus, "Administrator" means "user who is authorized to use sudo to run things as root" (in other words, the user is in the "sudo" group).
      Thanks for that Kubicle - That'll teach a newbie to try working with 2 different iterations of Linux at the same time!

Comment

For when you have that 'spare' moment: RootSudo
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X