This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick and dirty website creation?

I may need to put together a quick little website, and need a recommendation on the right tool to use.

I have a 3 GB (I think) web space account along with each of the 6 email addresses that my ISP provides me with. A volunteer group I am with is having a gathering this summer where a number of people may bring trailers. I need to know trailer size, including length, width (with slides out), and a few other items so that I can 'jigsaw' them together into the area we have for them.

My thought originally was to email everyone a form they could fill out, then just cut and paste that into a spreadsheet. I may still do that, as I am familiar with the process. Often the best tool is the one that you are familiar with, and I am familiar with email and spreadsheets.

However, I bought into Blue Griffon a few years ago (though it is 'free', some modules require a contribution) when I was trying to show my daughter how she could put together a small website for her photography business. We ended up buying a 'cookie cutter' website from Intuit instead, so I never did use BlueGriffon to any extent.

SeaMonkey, IIRC, also has a basic HTML editor that is capable of creating a basic website.

My thought is to:

1) Post an XLS one-line spreadsheet to my Dropbox account, and give everyone a link through the group newsletter. The one-line spreadsheet could then be emailed back to me to cut and paste into my master LO Calc spreadsheet that I have used for several years.

or

2) Set up a very simple website that could gather the 8 to 10 fields of information that I need, store it in a table on the website, then paste that back into a LO Calc spreadsheet for further processing.

I am open to other options. However, remember, this is a thing that only happens once/year, and would involve less than a hundred entries into the table. I can't be bothered putting too much work into the infrastructure as I just won't use it often enough.

I'm using Kubuntu 12.04.

Suggestions?

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

You'll probably find Zoho Sites a good fit. Your workload easily fits within their free tier. You could perhaps find one of their existing web form templates useful, or instead design your own.

Comment

Your ISP probably will supply a website and also publish it.

Don't know about the cost.

The important part is publishing it and the correct domain name, it used to be called the "metatag", that is words on the very top of the code that web spiders search for.

If you have a contact e-mail for everybody you could do a word press describing it photos and such and as you said, then e-mail everybody a spreadsheet. Copy and paste.

I have only used Wordpress once, and that was a coupla years ago, it might be that you could just put the spreadsheet on the site as a download.

If everybody actually does know about this already, like you said, the simplest might be best.

woodsmoke

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post341281
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X