X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blocking USB Storage

Dear friends
    I am using Kubuntu 12.04. Now I want to block all usb storage devices like pendrives, external HDD, etc.

I have tried three things

1. I run the command modprobe -r usb_storage
    2. I edited /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf with line blacklist usb_storage

all these thing does not work !

3. I rename /lib/modules/................./dirvers/usb/storage directory
    This method works but if i put my usb stick in PC and restart it, It mounted automatically say this method is also fail.. please suggess.... any new method.

thanks

Originally posted by farjibaba View Post

3. I rename /lib/modules/................./dirvers/usb/storage directory
    This method works
    Probably that is the right answer then (I don't know, I never tried this).

but if i put my usb stick in PC and restart it, It mounted automatically say this method is also fail.. please suggess.... any new method.

thanks
    No, that is not a fail. When you are booting your PC, the operating system is not running, so nothing you did in /lib/modules is affecting it. When booting, the PC is controlled only by BIOS (or UEFI). So you need to enter your BIOS, find the page where you select what devices can be bootable, and disable booting from USB devices. Then it should work the way you want.

Comment

If you expect to achieve some kind of security benefit from this, allow me to attempt to change your mind. Physical access to a computer trumps everything else; you can't stop someone from doing pretty much whatever they want.

Comment

Working...
      X