X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation Modification

Dear Friend

I want to modify the Installation procedure of Kubuntu 12.04. When we Install Kubuntu in hard disk a dialog comes which asks us about the
    "Key Bord Layout, Time zone, HDD Partition etc..." and we carry on next next next...... thats the location I want to modify this thing like say

when it say welcome to Kubuntu 12.04 and other things like when I ask about the keybord layout there should be only one option.

I am taking the ISO with Remastersis and there is no option to modify that thing I have change the splash screen in remaster sis..

My moto is that i have modified the kubuntu and now i m taking backup with remasther sis as a distribution but at the time of installation I don't want the text "Kubuntu 12.04"

how can i do this or is there any method in ubuntu like RHEL the kick start insatllation

Originally posted by farjibaba View Post
    Dear Friend

I want to modify the Installation procedure of Kubuntu 12.04. When we Install Kubuntu in hard disk a dialog comes which asks us about the
    "Key Bord Layout, Time zone, HDD Partition etc..." and we carry on next next next...... thats the location I want to modify this thing like say

when it say welcome to Kubuntu 12.04 and other things like when I ask about the keybord layout there should be only one option.

I am taking the ISO with Remastersis and there is no option to modify that thing I have change the splash screen in remaster sis..

My moto is that i have modified the kubuntu and now i m taking backup with remasther sis as a distribution but at the time of installation I don't want the text "Kubuntu 12.04"

how can i do this or is there any method in ubuntu like RHEL the kick start insatllation
    If you want to put a current install on multiple computers quickly then "dd" is the only way to do it.

Comment

Sorry

I didnot understand "dd" please elaborate it ;..

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
        If you want to put a current install on multiple computers quickly then "dd" is the only way to do it.
        I can think of a few disadvantages to this.
        • Volume and partition UUIDs won't change. While this doesn't technically "break" anything, it does mean that multiple, distinct computers will have the same UUIDs on their partitions and volumes.
        • A dd-ed boot volume won't boot on a UEFI-based machine without also adding the necessary NVRAM variable.
        • Configuration files that contain machine-unique tokes like hostnames or static IP addresses will have to be modified.
        • ...probably more...

@farjbaba: Mind telling us a little more about your motivations? What problem are you trying to solve?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          I can think of a few disadvantages to this.
          • Volume and partition UUIDs won't change. While this doesn't technically "break" anything, it does mean that multiple, distinct computers will have the same UUIDs on their partitions and volumes.
          • A dd-ed boot volume won't boot on a UEFI-based machine without also adding the necessary NVRAM variable.
          • Configuration files that contain machine-unique tokes like hostnames or static IP addresses will have to be modified.
          • ...probably more...

@farjbaba: Mind telling us a little more about your motivations? What problem are you trying to solve?
          All valid. I just remember using dd to install quickly on 5 computers once and although there was some post install modification (all I can remember was changing the host name right now), I just felt the whole process was a ton faster. If he can tell us his exact requirements then we might be able to better recommend a solution.

Comment

I'll grant you that it's fast! I have often used dd to move an existing installation onto a new hard drive. Fabulous tool. You can increase the speed of it by setting the block size equal to the cache size of your drive. I usually use bs=16M on the dd line.

Comment

I'll grant you that it's fast! I have often used dd to move an existing installation onto a new hard drive. Fabulous tool. You can increase the speed of it by setting the block size equal to the cache size of your drive. I usually use bs=16M on the dd line.
              Setting the block size to the cache size is something many people forget and that's why they think its deadly slow. I usually pipe dd through "pv" so that I can gauge my progress, makes it a whole lot more fun to use dd rather than just guessing at your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                I usually pipe dd through "pv" so that I can gauge my progress, makes it a whole lot more fun to use dd rather than just guessing at your progress.
                Yep, but try that when you're dd-ing between two SSDs. You'll find the double-pipe slows things considerably. So you have to go the more primitive route: open a second console window, find the PID for dd, and send it a SIGUSR1.

Comment

Yep, but try that when you're dd-ing between two SSDs. You'll find the double-pipe slows things considerably. So you have to go the more primitive route: open a second console window, find the PID for dd, and send it a SIGUSR1.
                  You have two SSDs! What type of sorcery allows you to afford two? Jokes aside, I will keep that in mind next time I use it between two SSDs. I use dd extensively as a back-up tool since it is so flexible and still so bulletproof. dd combined with pigz (parallel gzip) and you have one of the best back-up solutions known to man. Unfortunately it is an image so its not incremental.

Comment

No sorcery whatsoever. Just made some good friends in the IT department where I work. Soemtimes little goodies then just magically fall out of the sky.

Comment

Working...
                    X