This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

menu edit and automated terminal command for kolourpaint --visual LowColor

I debated whether to place this in "help the new guy" but decided for here. If a mod wishes to move it that will be fine with me.

PLEASE NOTE THE FOURTH POST DOWN WHICH DESCRIBES HOW TO EDIT THE MENU ITEM that Kubicle very nicely reminded STOOPID ol woodsmoker.... about!!

UNLESS YOU ARE INTO COMMAND LINE.... just skip the following and edit the menu item! duuhh! stoopid woodsmoke! lol

Konsole command.

Open Konsole and copy and past(this from the other thread! not from moi!

kolourpaint --visual LowColor

Some very nice folks here helped me with a comand to run Kolourpaint 4 in "low color" so that the interface is not degraded when using GLX drivers (accelerated so that one can use things like Compiz or Metacity).

That has worked wonderfully but I was not able to make a desktop link or a menu item for it and always had to use a terminal.

Well, there is an "automated" way to do it using Konsole(and I assume others of the various terminals).

The instructions are in the KDE help manual for Konsole, but I'll summarize them here because there is one instruction that is not "completely" clear, to me at least.

In the KDE Help Center/Konsole/Sessions the instructions are basically:

Open Konsole
    Click - Settings / Configure Konsole/ Session tab.

In the first box you are to type a name I chose "Kolourpaint4 lowcolor" w/o the quotation marks.
    The next instruction (number 4) says to "enter a command'...etc... and I did not really understand if it was to be typed in "Konsole" or in the second box. I typed it into "Konsole" stupid me and when I opened it i got nothing.

You type the "command" into the second box:

In my case: kolourpaint --visual LowColor

Then click "save session, confirm the file name and OK.

Now, down at the bottom left of Konsole are two little thingys,. the left most one for me kind of looks like a sun over a landscape and the one to the right says "shell" in a tab.

If one presses and holds the button on the left one will see several things one can do and also the name of the thing you typed a name for, if you click it almost instantly the "thing" you want, for me Kolourpaint4 in low color appears!

VERY KEWL!!

HOWEVER ONE BIG CAVEAT: if you "close" or "quit" the Konsole, then the application(Kolourpaint4) closes with it.

So.... I don't know.... typing the command from memory I often mess it up, copy and paste well, that takes a couple of steps.... keeping the konsole open...dunno...

But it is KEWL!! lol

woodsmoke

sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: automated terminal command for kolourpaint --visual LowColor

Originally posted by woodsmoke
    That has worked wonderfully but I was not able to make a desktop link or a menu item for it and always had to use a terminal.
    Why not...should be as simple as editing the existing kolourpaint menu item (or creating a new one) with your custom command in the menu editor.

HOWEVER ONE BIG CAVEAT: if you "close" or "quit" the Konsole, then the application(Kolourpaint4) closes with it.
    If you wish to prevent that, you can set (for example):
    Code:
    nohup kolourpaint --visual LowColor &
    as the command to run.

(You shouldn't really need to use a konsole window, though, perhaps you could describe how you've been trying to add/edit a menu item/desktop link?)

Comment

Re: automated terminal command for kolourpaint --visual LowColor

Hi
      WOAH!!! THANKS... for the comments Kubicle.

The nohup thing didn't work.

So I was going to post about how I "edited" the menu item and was working through the steps and...

WOAH!!! You asking made me LOOK at the whole thing...and...

I have always just "navigated" to the app in usr/bin etc.

I was looking at the box labled "command" and hmmmm

copied in: kolourpaint --visual LowColor

BINGO!!!!

I will edit my first post to reflect this.

you da man!!

thanks again.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X