Clear All

Kate as a HTML editor

Hi im building a lamp test site on my tower. it works so far

I'm using kate to edit my pages.

If i type in the following

test test test

it comes out

test test test

it does this in html or php echo statements. Any ideas?

PS I'm posting this here because, I think the issue might be kate & I like friendly responses from a forum that I use.

Ted

Re: Kate as a HTML editor

Try kedit and see what happens.

Comment

I'm far from expert on HTML, but don't you need to use the non-breaking space code to add spaces between words inside the HTML page?

Code:
      <&nbsp>

Comment

Yes dibl is correct. HTML ignores white space and you have to add non-breaking spaces for extra spaces.

Which is actually
        Code:
        &nbsp;
        A better way would be to use a CSS style
        Code:
        <p style="word-spacing: 30px;">test test test</p>
        Which would do the trick and will allow for more refinement of the spacing and cleaner code.

Comment

In addition to what slush1000 said, you may want to consider visting http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/Advanced.html and look at tables in conjunction with cell padding and spacing to give you more control of text placement and formatting.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Also would mention that Kompozer is a good WYSIWYG editor for web pages. Let's you edit the source when necessary.

Comment

I've used Komposer. Good tool. And yes it is

Code:
              &nbsp;
              I never have got into style sheet stuff so I can't say about that.

Comment

Kompozer does css as well as html.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                  Also would mention that Kompozer is a good WYSIWYG editor for web pages. Let's you edit the source when necessary.
                  AND ... it doesn't haul in any unnecessary junk like Quanta does. Quanta is good, but who uses cvs, cervisia, kompose, kommander-kde3 or tidy any more? Especially kommander-KDE3.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Kate is a perfectly good HTML editor, but I've heard Bluefish has some more specific features. It's nice to have the editor keep track of unclosed tags etc, but for simple stuff nano, or vi, or whatever is as good as any.

If you want to see the text as pure text (everything lined up and spaces respected) then just use the pre tag. I've always liked pure text and still do. That is one reason I use DOS a lot. Here is an example of a pure text page which (apart from a couple of pics) your browser should render the same as my monochrome ascii screen: http://cgs.coalmont.net/flags/

Comment

many thanks to those of you who replied. You all were helpful, that is why i wanted to post here as opposed to any other forum 8)

I will look into the tutorial.

I like kate so im not going to stop using it unless one of the suggestions wows me.

I don't know much about html so i was not sure. I'm putting my idea togeter with a 4 year old Mysql &php for dummies book. we'll see how this goes.

Ted

Comment

Kate is a wise decision.

I like the fact that I can open and close an integrated console within the directory I am in using.
                        I love code completion.
                        I love having the ability to open all of my source files at once and using file search find occurrences of a word or phrase in all of those files. I used it to open 1,077 text files at once to search for a word. 240+ files appeared in the file list, giving the file name and line number where the word occurred, showing that line. When I clicked on that line the editor displayed that file and put the cursor at the line.
                        I love the plugins. There are several kate plugins in the repository, besides the couple dozen pre-installed. They can be activated in the setup dialog.
                        I love that you can export source as HTML...
                        and much more.
                        For a "light-weight" editor it is VERY powerful!

Comment

I like KompoZer. It's reliable, fast and offers a lot of features.
                          Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Working...
                          X