Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is twinkle dead? Looking for QT4 coders!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is twinkle dead? Looking for QT4 coders!

I am following this thread:
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/t...e/message/3693

I love twinkle but is seams to be dying.

Some people on this thread want to revive it again and are looking for help.

Anyone interseted or know of someone that would be interested?

Greets
    Fintan
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Is twinkle dead? Looking for QT4 coders!

Twinkle is already in the Kubuntu 10.4 repository, and will automatically install the Qt3 compatibility libraries that it needs to run.

Converting Qt3 *.ui files to Qt4 can be a big problem. I tried it on my hap2006 app and I decided to write the app from scratch using Qt4's designer. I tried the uic3 conversion tool on the largest of the forms in the Twinkle app, "userprofileform.ui" and the results were:

jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~/Downloads/twinkle-1.4.2/src/gui$ ~/qtsdk-2010.02/qt/bin/uic3 -convert userprofileform.ui -o userprofileform4.ui
    uic3: property `paletteBackgroundColor' for widget `userTitleTextLabel' of type `QLabel' is not supported. Line: 269 Column: 43
    uic3: property `paletteBackgroundColor' for widget `sipServerTitleTextLabel' of type `QLabel' is not supported. Line: 529 Column: 43
    uic3: property `paletteBackgroundColor' for widget `rtpAudioTitleTextLabel' of type `QLabel' is not supported. Line: 823 Column: 43
    uic3: property `paletteBackgroundColor' for widget `sipProtocolTitleTextLabel' of type `QLabel' is not supported. Line: 2355 Column: 62
    uic3: property `paletteBackgroundColor' for widget `NatTitleTextLabel' of type `QLabel' is not supported. Line: 2988 Column: 43
    uic3: property `paletteBackgroundColor' for widget `addressFormatTitleTextLabel' of type `QLabel' is not supported. Line: 3304 Column: 43
    uic3: property `paletteBackgroundColor' for widget `timersTitleTextLabel' of type `QLabel' is not supported. Line: 3710 Column: 43
    uic3: property `paletteBackgroundColor' for widget `ringtonesTitleTextLabel' of type `QLabel' is not supported. Line: 3904 Column: 43
    uic3: property `paletteBackgroundColor' for widget `scriptsTitleTextLabel' of type `QLabel' is not supported. Line: 4052 Column: 43
    uic3: property `paletteBackgroundColor' for widget `securityTitleTextLabel' of type `QLabel' is not supported. Line: 4513 Column: 43
    uic3: property `paletteBackgroundColor' for widget `voiceMailTextLabel' of type `QLabel' is not supported. Line: 4638 Column: 43
    uic3: property `paletteBackgroundColor' for widget `imTextLabel' of type `QLabel' is not supported. Line: 4948 Column: 43
    uic3: property `paletteBackgroundColor' for widget `presTextLabel' of type `QLabel' is not supported. Line: 5067 Column: 43
    As you can see, the property "paletteBackgroundColor" for the Qt3 QLabel object is NOT supported in the Qt4 Label object, and uic3 died without generating an output. So, I decided to bypass the uic3 output facitlity and trap the std out using:
    ~/qtsdk-2010.02/qt/bin/uic3 -convert userprofileform.ui > userprofileform4.ui
    which gave me a file, userprofileform4.ui, which the qt4-designer tool could open up. What I generated is attached as a graphic. The form was a well designed. The left panel (ListBox) allows the user to select what is shown in the right panel. The first right panel, titled "Users", is showing. The "User" panel is one of 13, and the 6th has 6 tabs.

Unfortunately, some Qt3 objects were not converted but merely imported, with some functionality being lost, because TrollTech did not add the Qt3 ListBox object to Qt4's API. In Qt4 an item based ListView object is used instead. Unfortunately, the Qt4 designer does not allow changing the item list in the Qt3ListBox object. Also lost was the ability of the Qt3ListBox to map the items in the list to image files, which would have resulted in a display like this. All of those methods and properties are in the Qt4 item-based ListView object, but the developer will have to replace the imported Qt3 ListBox with the Qt4 ListView and re-enter the 13 items and map them to their png graphic icons. The developer will also have to be sure the new objects are named identically as the old ones or he/she will have to edit all the signals and any references in the slots.

If the Twinkle developer, Michel de Boer, is already busy converting the app to Qt4 and doesn't plan to drop support for the Qt3 version then it will double his work load, which is something I doubt he has the time or inclination to do. It may be that he will not migrate to Qt4 until he gets an overwhelming number of requests to do so, which is doubtful since there are already about a dozen other VOIP clients in the Kubuntu repository (including Twinkle) and some, like Ekiga, also include video, which Twinkle does not.
    Attached Files
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: Is twinkle dead? Looking for QT4 coders!

Thank you GG, I was kind of hoping you would see this

I am not a coder and as such can't really follow what you are saying, although I can follow the logic

But I would be happy to test it out.

The way I read what the guys over at the twinkle thread want to do is this:
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/twinklephone/

I can send you a full transcript edited by me if you wish.

As twinkle hasn't been supported for about 18 months and the dev. is silent they think twinkle will die.

They want to fork the project and go it themselves. What they are trying to do is contact the dev. but he doesn't seam to be answering as of yet.

I have used the other voip softphones before but none equal twinkle.

Ekiga is as close as you can get. But it has no connection to my contacts.
      Twinkle does, well used to under kde3.5.x but not in kde4.x.x.
      As, well the twinkle systray widget just fails, and its general use under kde4.x.x is terrible and buggy.

So, if you feel inclined I am sure they would love to have your feedback.

I will post a link to this thread on the twinkle thread and see how it develops.

Cheers and thanks for you above efforts.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
      X