This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

future of app development

IMHO. maybe I am just resisting change or don't see it, but I really don't see what all the fuss is about web apps. I get the idea of a central store of data accessible from anywhere and a no maintenance client, but should we throw away 30 years of software development to start over? I think if you could take a cross platform kit statically link to one executable for each platform and have the app stream its document info from an app server, you could have the best of both worlds. I see google earth as the model for the future. Opinions?
    FKA: tanderson

Re: future of app development

Won't happen.

Before I retired I was a systems analyst/programmer for a mid West state. The Law required that we maintain physical control of all data servers and restrict unauthorized access. This excludes the "cloud" thing.

I also worked with IRS data, and after THEY got caught looking at movie star's incomes, and posting about it, the resulting new regs required that when ever ANYONE walked by my cubical and could see the display, even though they couldn't read it, I had to record the date, time, and what was on the screen, and the name of the person walking by. My hallway was a high traffic area with up to 20 people passing by several times a day! This is inside a secured facility, patrolled by uniformed officers! Needless to say, the IRS file processing was moved to a locked office in an obscure part of the building where only the analyst had access and NO ONE could walk by there except him.

Consider also that if YOUR data is on some remote server (that's all the "cloud" thing is, after all -- a PC you access remotely to run apps and access your data stored on them) you really have absolutely NO control over it at all. It could be running on a VISTA server, in Pakistan, Russia or China, for all you know. And, there is NO way you could guarantee that your data wasn't sold to and sifted by anyone, including your competitors, destroying any business advantage you might have. Or, your private data could become public knowledge... remember Sarah Palin's emails? She was on Google's gmail. Bad choice for a gov who want to keep private messages private.

While the service may start out being free, history has shown that sooner or later it becomes a $ub$cription $ervice, and your data is held hostage to guarantee lock-in. There is no convenient export facility in SharePoint. Having your data held hostage by SharePoint is how MS locks you into their OS and applications. Also, if you didn't write your applications, or use GPL apps, you could be trapped into paying for their use on a per-minute basis.

Finally, if the local branch of the Internet onto which you connect goes down for any reason (cut cable, power outage, etc.) you are out of access and out of business until they are back up, unless you've kept a current local copy. But, if you've done that why use the Cloud? Also, in today's current economic climate, you have no idea of the economic stability of any ISP or Cloud provider. It could turn out that while you were sleeping the owners of the hardware on which you applications and data were residing declared bankruptcy, closed shop and hauled away or sold the hardware. Or, they set fire to the building to collect insurance. I read this morning that the employs of the "Legacy Auto Sales" in Scottsbluff, NE, arrived at work to find 81 new Toyota automobiles missing, their bosses offices cleaned out, and ditto for their homes.

Personally, I want my applications AND my data on MY hardware, under my total control.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      Personally, I want my applications AND my data on MY hardware, under my total control.
      Sounds like we are on the same page..... I also think having a bootable jump drive could be a better alternative to web apps. I think web apps have there place, it just seems so overhyped.
      FKA: tanderson

Comment

I like the idea of a bootable jump drive, but many publicly accessed computers (schools, libraries, gov buildings, food vendors, etc...) won't allow you to use USB sticks or reboot the computer. To do so without their permission is a violation of FEDERAL LAW and could land you in the slammer for several years.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I read this morning that the employs of the "Legacy Auto Sales" in Scottsbluff, NE, arrived at work to find 81 new Toyota automobiles missing, their bosses offices cleaned out, and ditto for their homes.
          That made me remember what happened here just a few weeks ago... Domino's closed all their restaurants here just in the same way LAS did there, in Scottsbluff.

I'm also afraid of those clouds, too. It reminds me of why the opensource movement is as important as the firmware is nowadays, we can't just depend too much on strangers that could suddenly disappear or not take the contract into consideration for any good or evil reason...
          Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
          Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
          Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
          Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Won't happen.
            I actually think it may happen, with a few changes.

The work done at the office, would be done with modified apps accessed via a terminal, rather than a full PC.

Each company would maintain their own servers, and would run a licensed copy of the editing software. The files would be stored as XML files (or something that works), accessible from a wide variety of applications.

This might become costly for local school systems though.

I do agree with that.
            The answers are out there...

Comment

Working...
            X