This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What language should I learn?

I want to create a 2D console-style RPG, in the style of the old Final Fantasy games. I'm wondering what would be a good language to do this in.

Or indeed whether I should code from scratch at all. I'm aware of kq, http://kqlives.sourceforge.net .However, I think it's a bit _too_ crude graphically, though it plays quite well. I haven't looked at the code to know whether it would be easy to modify it to higher resolution. I haven't come across any other free software projects that are similar to what I envision.

I'm also considering not only what's best for this project, but what's best to learn more generally.

Since most people unfortunately still run Windows, I'd like my game to be easily portable to that OS.

What do people recommend?

(BTW, the game's going to be GPLed)
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Re: What language should I learn?

you should prolly learn c++ since thats probly the easest to port, however you could always use an interperted language such as java , that way there is no porting just have the interperter installed and play...
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

java is good for mini-games, but I wouldn't use it for a bigger project. I would probably go with C or C++.

BTW, is java considered as a programming(like C, C++) or scripting language?(like bash) I can't make myself call it a programming language.
      Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Yes it is. It's the likes of python, perl et al that are considered "scripting".

Comment

i know people who swear up and down HTML is not scripting ... , i was not suggesting java exactly, but rather using it as an example of an interpreted language. however if your new to c/c++ learning a bit of java might help you understand c/c++ a bit better, as my computer science teacher used to say java is like c++ for dummies.

Comment

Those people are right. HTML's not scripting. It's markup.

Scripting is a type of programming, specifically programming of or using other programs (excluding the OS). Javascript runs in a web browser, bash scripts usually call other programs, stuff like that.
            I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

no by that i ment there are people who feel html is a programing language.

so have you put any further thought in to the language your going to learn for this here project ?

Comment

Well, you're suggesting C++. Certainly that's a language well worth learning, and could result in a very good game, but I fear the learning curve may be a bit steep.

Linux Format did a series of tutorials about Python and pygame. I reckon I might give that a try. I think it has a good chance of going well.

Comment

if you know java, that would be good primer for C++ , as there similar in their syntax and program flow.

sorry but i don't know much about python.

Comment

Just in case you didn't know, follow my advice, don't ever try to develop a game based on ruby or something based on ruby... It still has no good support for graphics since it's more a command line based OOP language. Of course, there are some other add-ons like wxRuby, fxruby, Tk/Tcl and others that might let you create windows and menus and buttons, but the rest is still in development I think.
                    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Just in case you didn't know, follow my advice, don't ever try to develop a game based on ruby or something based on ruby... It still has no good support for graphics since it's more a command line based OOP language. Of course, there are some other add-ons like wxRuby, fxruby, T and others that might let you create windows and menus and buttons, but the rest is still in development I think.
                      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                        if you know java, that would be good primer for C++ , as there similar in their syntax and program flow.

sorry but i don't know much about python.
                        Try doing this in a shell:

Code:
                        $python
                        then paste these lines in:
                        Code:
                        import sys
                        from PyQt4.QtCore import *
                        from PyQt4.QtGui import *
                        from PyQt4.QtWebKit import *

app = QApplication(sys.argv)

web = QWebView()
                        web.load(QUrl("[url]http://kubuntu.org"[/url]))
                        web.show()

sys.exit(app.exec_())
                        That's from http://techbase.kde.org/Development/...ebKit_Tutorial btw

In short, Python is a dynamic, interpreted language. It works cross platform and doesn't need to be compiled. It reads like psuedo code, meaning it's much easier to pick up old / someone else's code and figure out what's going on. It's great for scripting as well as making larger applications.

In terms of execution speed, it's much slower than C / C++ / Java, but for many applications that's hardly an issue. Developer productivity is usually more critical and the time it takes to solve problems using Python is usually much faster. If execution speed is an issue, it's great for prototyping the logic, which can then be re-written in a faster language. The tagline is "Python where we can, C++ where we must".

http://www.python.org/about

Comment

Don't have the modules (cos I'm actually running (Gnome) Ubuntu, just still use these forums because I prefer them), but I take it that produces a web browser.

Comment

Yeah, there's pyGTK for gnome:

http://www.pygtk.org

But I'm sure you can easy_install the modules you need anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X