This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] What to use to make GUI's for termial apps

i would like to make some Gui's for terminal apps (wminput being the first one i am gonna make)

how do you do this , i have tried qt3devloper but it don't seam to have a way to do this,

i am thinking a simple program that just spits out to the console command + args

my thoughts on this is that is should be something like this

1. create the gui (like VB style enviroment w/ support for console backend )
    2. code the buttons (ie if check then add -i to the command string when the ok button is pushed)
    3. code the ok button , for something like (command +(vars) -> console)

what do i need to do this ? does ne one have some sugestions maybe a tutorial or two i should look at.
    i am new to linux programing i have exp coding for windoze (vb , C++, a few other langs)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Re: What to use to make GUI's for termial apps

kdialog is the one I'd go for for simple stuff. It does not seem to be available under 8.10 though...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Maybe:

Kdialog > Development/Tutorials/Shell Scripting with KDE Dialogs

It does not seem to be available under 8.10 though...

It is there. An example > Extract And Compress KDE4.

or maybe Kommander:

> KDE Wiki / Kommander Talk
      Kommander is a tool to make small and medium sized applications. Not easy to describe quickly. The editor lets you design Kommander dialogues and the executer lets you run applications. The Kommander editor outputs a single .ui file which contains all the scripting and functions.
      It is used by writing a script in your favourite scripting language, there is no preference for any particular language. You can use Kommander functions and signals & slots. It should be as easy as using a spreadsheet.
      > Home of Kommander
      Kommander is a two part application. The first part is the editor where you visually build dialogs and applications and edit the scripted elements. The second part is the executor which processes the generated XML file. Kommander is a non traditional "disruptive" technology. It does not compile applications, but it does not rely on interpreted scripting to build it's interface. It relies wherever possible on compiled functions. It produces non-compliled dialogs and applications at a very small file size that run fast and can be distributed without binary compatibility issues...
      Examples > KDE-Apps.Org >> Kommander Scripts
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

thx i will look in to these

Comment

Hmmm...

ingo@dicker:/boot$ apt-cache search kdialog
          gtkdialog - GUI-creation command-line utility based on GTK+ library
          libui-dialog-perl - UI:ialog a wrapper for various dialog applications
          ssft - Shell Scripts Frontend Tool
          But I have all my repos enabled. How come What do you get, Rog131? Or is it there already, part of another package?

Personally I have never quite mastered kommander whereas kdialog is a breeze (until you want to talk to dcop...).
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

But I have all my repos enabled. How come What do you get, Rog131? Or is it there already, part of another package?
            I have thought that it is a part of KDE - What happens if you type in the konsole:
            Code:
            kdialog --msgbox "I'm Here.\n Click Me"

(until you want to talk to dcop...)
            Well - - dcop is dead, all hail the dbus (qdbus). An example > Service Menus with Dolphin / Add the whole path including file name into clipboard (klipper)
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
              OMG! That is just way to cool! Bookmarked for later study. Rog131, you 'da man!
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yep, you're right, Rog131 Goody goody good good!

And yes, dcop is dead! Well, not yet. So any ideas how you would do a progress bar for a lengthy process like building an iso with dbus?

Comment

Maybe with this ? > dcop progress bar with kdialog

=>
                  Code:
                  #! /bin/sh
                  dcopRef=$(kdialog --title "DCOP Progress" --progressbar "Initializing . . ." 12)
                  echo $dcopRef
                  qdbus $dcopRef org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Set org.kde.kdialog.ProgressDialog maximum 3
                  qdbus $dcopRef org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Set org.kde.kdialog.ProgressDialog value 1
                  qdbus $dcopRef org.kde.kdialog.ProgressDialog.setLabelText "Step 1"
                  sleep 3
                  qdbus $dcopRef org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Set org.kde.kdialog.ProgressDialog value 2
                  qdbus $dcopRef org.kde.kdialog.ProgressDialog.setLabelText "Step 2"
                  sleep 3
                  qdbus $dcopRef org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Set org.kde.kdialog.ProgressDialog value 3
                  qdbus $dcopRef org.kde.kdialog.ProgressDialog.close
                  Attached Files

Comment

Oh jeez, I knew I shouldn't have asked...

Nope, seriously, thank you very much! However, I fail to grasp the relationship between the progress of say creating the iso with what is happening on screen. afaics that code creates a progress bar which moves with time, not with progress, i.e. what if the time runs out, progress bar says 100% but the process takes another half hour?

As you can tell, I don't get it

Comment

I fail to grasp the relationship between the progress of say creating the iso with what is happening on screen. afaics that code creates a progress bar which moves with time, not with progress, i.e. what if the time runs out, progress bar says 100% but the process takes another half hour?

Hmm - as i understand that code and the kdialog progressbar:

- It creates a tree part bar (0-33%, 33-66%, 66-100%)
                      - bar is moved by the "ProgressDialog value 1" - "ProgressDialog value 3"
                      - sleep commads are there so you can see the bar

What output do you get when you are creating the iso ?
                      If you get percents, use the kdialog to show bar (value) that is closest the actual value.

Comment

RE: What to use to make GUI's for termial apps

yes very useful links, made a quick mock up gui for wminput.
                        but i have not played w/ it since i've been busy doing other things lately, setting up the new machine still and working out kinks in my intranet, and working.
                        but ne one looking to dev a GUI for a console app would do good to check rog131's provided links

thanks much rog

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] What to use to make GUI's for termial apps

I guess I missed this thread when it was young. Anyway it looks like you have found something to fit your needs. I would just like to add that qt3 and qt4 have everything you need for this. I made a gui wrapper for the rar command a while ago (I don't know why) using qt and it worked great. If you would like to see it, post back and I will dig it up. I did it at my parents house one day when I was bored and it never made it home.
                          FKA: tanderson

Comment

Thanks, tanderson.

But is QT not for C++ only? Or can one use it for simple bash scripts as well? Or python, ruby, what have you?

Comment

Qt is wrote mostly in c++ (I say most because I read somewhere the was some assembly code for really intense algorithms) but it isn't confined to it. If you go into adept and filter on bind, scroll down to the lib* section you will see numerous qt bindings. Perl, python, ruby etc.. I have never heard of binding a bash script to Qt, but there is probably a way.
                              FKA: tanderson

Comment

Working...
                              X