This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruby vs Python

What do u guys think about these two languages?

I practise OOP and I find that Ruby is better in this respect, whereas Python OO support seems hackish and very c-ctyle (ugh) like.

Re: Ruby vs Python

Well, I started with Ruby, then went to Python which I found slightly nicer, then went back to Ruby and got annoyed with it because I could do things in Python that I couldn't do in Ruby.

Comment

Python
      - more popular
      - more things can be done in Python
      - better (i think) documentation and tutorials for neewbies

Comment

Originally posted by sebastianw
        Python
        - more popular
        - more things can be done in Python
        - better (i think) documentation and tutorials for neewbies
        I never used Ruby. The one thing I love about python is the number of very useful modules:

http://docs.python.org/modindex.html

(and as you said, how nicely documented)

Comment

Ruby is a beautiful language and personally I prefer ruby. But python is so much more popular and better documented in english so I guess it will remain the language of choice for many people for quite a few years yet.

Comment

Both are great. I prefer Ruby's OO stylings and Python's breadth of available modules (and the syntax is pretty, too). They've both got their places. Personally, I make sure both are available on my systems.

The real question is Perl, which has an astounding amount of pre-written software available, but a syntax that can make you wonder if the perl script you just opened really is a perl script, of if you're having disk errors and the file you're looking at is really random garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by nko
              The real question is Perl, which has an astounding amount of pre-written software available, but a syntax that can make you wonder if the perl script you just opened really is a perl script, of if you're having disk errors and the file you're looking at is really random garbage.
              Good point. I think some languages tend to make you code in a certain way. In this regard, I think Python tends to lead to clean, lean, readable code (no idea about Ruby, I'd love to try it). Perl is the other way around. I am very critical of the coding practices you typically see in perl code. It's like the programer is always trying to show off. Python code looks always simpler, and I think, in the end, it boils down to a clear design philosophy view in either camp (Guido and Larry). I don't mind. It's all there for our use, and I am grateful to both communities. But I would personally never suggest perl for a project I care about (for the reasons above).

Cheers!

Comment

I started scripting in perl, i got petty good at it, i then tinkerd in python, found it was too c-ish
                Then i found ruby, now i live by ruby and forgotten most of perl

ruby is a clean ool, its nice becuase you can code rather sloppy but effective or implement a nice clean ool structure. it is very powerful, cross platform and is gaining more popularity everyday, as ruby on rails and e-ruby are proving.

there are a number of graphical tool kit bindings and other bindings avaible, which i found that are easier to pick up on than other languages

Comment

I vote for Ruby for its simplicity. Python is very C-ish, but they both have there own pros and cons.

proof of c-ishness (sorta):
                  Integer input statement on ruby:
                  variable = gets
                  Integer input statement on python:
                  variable = input()

also, python requires indenting, which i find very annoying.
                  LINUX. IT'S SO EASY, EVEN A PENGUIN CAN DO IT.

Comment

Even though I only know a tiny bit, I definately love Ruby because of its simple and elegant nature. Extreamly high-level, When I code in Ruby I feel more like I'm talking to a human than a computer! From what I know of Ruby it's an absolutely briliant language, 5 stars.
                    [*****]
                    LINUX. IT'S SO EASY, EVEN A PENGUIN CAN DO IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Hestia
                      But python is so much more popular and better documented in english
                      Not realy, try Why's Poingant Guide to Ruby. It's really funny.
                      <http://poignantguide.net/ruby/>
                      LINUX. IT&#39;S SO EASY, EVEN A PENGUIN CAN DO IT.

Comment

Like I've said.... .

A discussion that could go on for several years
                        Acer Aspire 5100<br />Kubuntu Hardy 8.04

Comment

Working...
                        X