This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross platform programing language

What's a good programing language then can both run on Windows and Linux distros and that has good support?

I did some research and Delphi seems pretty good... got any other suggestions?

Re: Cross platform programing language

C++ ?

Comment

Java

Comment

Originally posted by leoski
        What's a good programing language then can both run on Windows and Linux distros and that has good support?

Most programming languages can be compiled by GCC in many, many platforms. Several graphical toolkits (Qt, Gtk, wxWidgets, etc) are cross platform and have bindings to several languages. What's the best language depends on what you need to do. Defining this will narrow the search. What do you need exactly ?

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
          Originally posted by leoski

Most programming languages can be compiled by GCC in many, many platforms. Several graphical toolkits (Qt, Gtk, wxWidgets, etc) are cross platform and have bindings to several languages. What's the best language depends on what you need to do. Defining this will narrow the search. What do you need exactly ?
          My final goal is to be able to create network software... Client/server programs.

Comment

Graphical or just command line ?

Comment

I know a very major bank that uses Java and a big brokerage house that uses C for their client side S/W. The implication is that the language pretty much doesn't matter if you get the content right.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                I know a very major bank that uses Java and a big brokerage house that uses C for their client side S/W.  The implication is that the language pretty much doesn't matter if you get the content right.
                Yeah, JAVA is the ten foot gorilla. It is something very usefull to learn. The are zillions jobs in Java. And there is a Java Lib for ANYTHING you might need.

Python is still my favorite, and it has some pretty cool network modules. See here:
                http://docs.python.org/modindex.html

And for the cross platform graphical interface:
                http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/

Good luck!

Comment

Python
                  + good cross-platform
                  + cross platform toolkits to create GUI (wxWidgets PyQT or PyGTK)
                  - interpreted - not as fast as c++

Java
                  + cross-platform
                  + AWT or SWT
                  - VM needed

Just write what you need and consider advantages and disadvantages of use each language

Comment

Let me add one advantage for Java: there SO many Java jobs out there !

Comment

Anyone have tried Lazarus?!!!!

I tested on a Fedora C4 and on Windows, I have created 2 app for my company with it, and right now I'm trying to set it up in Kubuntu.

It is a Delphi clone, and had a good support for Client/Server app. I recomend this one.

Comment

Working...
                      X