X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ReactOS booting to BTRFS as the root filesystem

https://reactos.org/blogs/gsoc-2018-booting-btrfs-works

So, right now ReactOS is able to boot from BTRFS partition and it is in quite stable state. But there are a lot of problems left:
    • Pagefile cannot be created on such partition. Our paging implementation is different from Windows one and requires extra functions in FS driver to be implemented.
    • Errors during some write operations. For example, it is not able to install Git right now. Will need to investigate this.
    • Occasional BSODs during shutdown. This problem is already tracked down, seems like nobody tried to use WinBtrfs as boot driver before
      More PRs to upstream are expected next week.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I have been keeping an eye on ReactOS for some years now. While it's gotten better it still lacks many things. The latest version is pretty stable and a lot of Windows older software work with it. How ever by the time it ever gets to a completed OS it will be outdated as the newest software most likely will work on it. It was a great idea but has taken way to long in development. I am surprised that M$ hasn't bought them out yet.

Comment

Being bought out may have been an original possibility, but can has been kicked too far down the road for Microsoft to even care. It will never be a gamer machine and enterprise would never adopt it, those being the only two markets M$ has left. WINE can run old Windows programs just about as well as ReactOS and I don't need a VM to run it in.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X