This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression comparisons

This video uses Btrfs in an lcx container to demonstrate the difference before and after compression, using both lzo and zlib. It also uses the watch command to view three different Btrfs commands that show data usage as the comparison proceeds.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I set my BTRFS data filesystem to LZO fairly soon after compression was enabled in BTRFS, several years ago now. It's been fine that way, although a substantial proportion of my data are photos, music, and videos, so I doubt there's huge compression actually going on. One of your recent links indicated that ZLIB is now enjoying more favor than LZO, but also there's a new algorithm coming online. For the moment, I'm going to follow the "Better might turn out to be the enemy of Good Enough" policy.
    Last edited by dibl; Jul 20, 2018, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Did you notice any significant performance drop after turning on compression?

When I install Neon Bonic I’m going to use zstd compression.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I can't say that I noticed any change. Most of my data are very static, although I do play music from that filesystem. I've never heard anything disturbing the playback, and videos stored there play perfectly. The WD1000 drives are SATA 6 Gbit/s and with the BTRFS data striping it's fast.

Comment

That’s good to know. When I install Neon 18.04 I am going to use zstd.

Comment

Working...
          X