This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant believe is been 4 1/2 yrs

since I began using Btrfs! Some on this forum have been using it for 11 years!It is a joy to take snapshots in less than a second and to be able to roll back in less than 3 minutes. Useing tar a/o zip with the cp command (d & g in Dolphin) usually took about 45 minutes to backup, and an equal time to restore. Btrfs made experimenting with P2P technologies like ZeroNet easy and painless, since I was only 3 minutes away from my original desktop, which gave each technology an equal start. Some have maintained that Btrfs is only suited for servers and that ZFS is better for that. Because Ubuntu based distros allow Btrfs to be the root filesystem AND a separate EXT /boot partition is not nessary, I think Btrfs makes an excellent single choice for laptop users. The hoops necessary to make ZFS a root filesystem are well above the skill level of ordinary users and for personal use ZFS doesn’t add anything that Btrfs doesn’t have. And, restoring to an intermediate snapshot in Btrfs doesn’t destroy more resent snapshots, like ZFS does. If Ubuntu ever decides in the future to create the ability to make ZFS a root filesystem I may reconsider using it, but until then Btrfs is the only filesystem I’ll be using!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Now that is what I call a true believer! I'm in the early stages of learning the system but I'm not going back to ext 4, and it is because of your enthusiasm that I'm trying it out at all. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
    X