This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    Your container experience puts you way above my pay grade, jglen490 !

What I've learned is that as long as it is not relatively easy to get a DE (preferabley Plasma5) running in an OS that has been loaded into a container, thus replacing VirtualBox, my interest in the technology is reduced to "wait and see".
    Understand! But when it does work, and when it works such that you don't even notice that there may be underlying layers - or containers next door - it's a beautiful thing. We use SPARC boxes, with a lot of Oracle in the LDOMs, and from time to time different OS versions between the PDOM and the LDOMs, gigabytes of RAM on each physical box, and terabytes of SAN. Awesome stuff !
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

The initial container is easy to set up, and using a template there are many distros available to have in that can be in that container when you launch its bash shell. However, from there I have not been able to get xinit to create a functioning xserver to launch any DE in. When Neon 18.04 comes out I may play with it for a while.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X