Failed to start Remount Root and Kernel File Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Failed to start Remount Root and Kernel File Systems

I moved my btrfs system to a larger disk. When I start it, it loads and works ok but I see this Failure information. I don't know where is the cause of the problem.

Code:
    systemctl status systemd-remount-fs.service
    × systemd-remount-fs.service - Remount Root and Kernel File Systems
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-remount-fs.service; enabled-runtime; preset: disabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2023-06-19 09:36:44 CEST; 2min 28s ago
    Docs: man:systemd-remount-fs.service(
    https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/APIFileSystems
    Process: 201 ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-remount-fs (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Main PID: 201 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    CPU: 120ms

cze 19 09:36:44 user_name systemd-remount-fs[203]: mount: /: mount point is not moounted or not proper option was given.
    cze 19 09:36:44 user_name systemd-remount-fs[203]: dmesg(1) can give more information m>
    cze 19 09:36:44 user_name systemd-remount-fs[201]: /usr/bin/mount for / exited with exit status 32.
    cze 19 09:36:44 user_name systemd[1]: systemd-remount-fs.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    cze 19 09:36:44 user_name systemd[1]: systemd-remount-fs.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    cze 19 09:36:44 user_name systemd[1]: Failed to start Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.
    Notice: journal has been rotated since unit was started, output may be incomplete.

Edition:
    dmesg shows:

Code:
    BTRFS error (device sda1: state M): cannot disable free space tree
    I found a solution here
    Replacing
    Code:
    space_cache
    to
    Code:
    space_cache=v2
    in
    Code:
    /etc/fstab
    works.
    Last edited by gnomek; Jun 19, 2023, 09:46 AM.

Thank you. Which OS and kernel?

I ask because I've removed space_cache from fstab in all my installs that use btrfs. I've found that space_cache=v2 is applied by default, for a while now (the thread you linked says since kernel 5.15). I wonder:
    • does it depends on the particular fs instance
    • what would result if space_cache was removed
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I might test this later. On Neon (22.04), calamares sets space_cache in the fstab, and you can't boot after installing. You need to edit the installer config beforehand, or edit the fstab afterward, to set it to v2.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        On Neon (22.04), calamares sets space_cache in the fstab, and you can't boot after installing.
        Hmm. That wasn't the case in my Neon 22.04 installation. My fstab has:

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
        UUID=d092e4dc-9c2d-471a-8908-eb720fe92a8f / btrfs subvol=/@,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag 0 0
        UUID=d092e4dc-9c2d-471a-8908-eb720fe92a8f /home btrfs subvol=/@home,defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag 0 0

​And I didn't edit after the installation. Everything works fine.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Hmm. That wasn't the case in my Neon 22.04 installation. My fstab has:
          I believe they may have fixed the image (after my pestering them maybe 😃). and/or it reverted back, They build isos weekly. Or some Ubuntu update fixed things, perhaps.
          My own recent-ish experience as well as other recent, instances
          Last edited by claydoh; Jun 19, 2023, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
            Which OS and kernel?
            This is on Manjaro, kernel 6.3.5-2.

Comment

Originally posted by gnomek View Post
              This is on Manjaro
              Just a little bit peeved. We are not a Manjaro Linux support forum. Just say’n.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry, I thought it was more about btrfs than distribution related problem, but I will keep that it mind.

Comment

Working...
                X