This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

set-default - caution

I came across btrfs subvolume set-default a couple of weeks ago, after seeing a reference to snapper using it to restore to a snapshot.

Beware, there are pitfalls here. I blundered into a couple, both causing a failure to boot.

The "default subvolume" is normally set to the btrfs root, subvolume id 5. I mucked about with this to see what it would do, and it's tricky in that setting it has no effect until the next time the btrfs is mounted. So, I could screw things up, and found out about it a week later when Kubuntu failed to boot.

The "subvol=" and subvolid=" mount options override the default subvolume, and that can lead to inconsistencies. grub presently generates "rootflags=subvol=" on the linux command line, which become the mount options the kernel uses. I don't know how snapper-rollback gets around that. I've seen posts where the poster removes that phrase in grub.cfg to enable boot from the default subvolume.

So, I (misguidedly) set the default subvolume to be the root of the install I want to boot by default... That was fine till I tried to do a fresh install of kinetic to try it out, same as I have every release for years, expecting it to install into @ and @home as usual. The installer put @ and @home into the default subvolume, which should have been ok, but then went a level up, (leaving @ empty) then deleted most of /usr, /var, /snap and /etc, and crashed. Ok, the installer crashed, it's pre-release, whatever. But the next day, Kubuntu didn't like it at all that most of it had been deleted. I could quickly restore from a snapshot (though I wasted time trying to copy files over).

Setting the default subvolume should be a cool way to control where the install goes, but I'm not sure the installer will cope.
    Regards, John Little

Near the bottom of the first post in the BTRFS subforum is a warning against using "set-default".
    It is a shorthand version of the warning here:
    The btrfs-tools command ''set-default'' will break Ubuntu's layout

Since Ubuntu is set up to always keep the top of the btrfs tree as the default mounting subvolume it will break when using the btrfs-tools command set-default, since this command is specifically designed to change the default mounting subvolume.

The mount options for / and /home described above relies on the fact that the corresponding subvolumes @ and @home can be located below the default mounting subvolume, and if set-default is used, this is no longer the case.

If you have accidentally used set-default and want to revert, you can do the following
    sudo mount /dev/sdX# /mnt
    sudo btrfs subvolume set-default 5 /mnt

since the id 5 is a permanent alias for the top of the btrfs tree.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you; I probably read that years ago but likely didn't remember it because I didn't understand it at the time. I should re-read that post.

...relies on the fact that the corresponding subvolumes @ and @home can be located below the default mounting subvolume, and if set-default is used, this is no longer the case.
      I don't understand that last assertion; why can't @ and @home be just that, located below the default mounting subvolume, wherever it is? Maybe it's that the kernel command line "root=" phrase (typically on the "linux" command in a grub entry) and the /etc/fstab entry for /home would be complicated.

My researches to fix this have led me to adopt the Arch recommended set up of snapper. Snapper puts its snapshots in /.snapshots, which breaks snapper if one reverts to a snapshot (whether a snapper snapshot or not), because the snapshots remain in the subvolume where they were created. In the Arch set up, one uses a separate subvolume @snapshots which is mounted on /.snapshots for snapper to work with.

On other distros snapper continues to develop and do more, and I expect it will become part of systemd; but I prefer to only use the automatic snapshotting and automatic clean up. If I'm doing drastic things like rolling back to a previous state, potentially trashing a lot of work, I think it's better to do it manually.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

I make all of my snapshots and rollbacks using either my bash script or manually. I alway plug in my external SSD and run the script to create a snapshot under /mnt/snapshots and I send a copy of it to /backup, my external SSD, which I unplug when it is done. Then I run another script to mount /mnt again and this time the internal 1TB SSD. I use "btrfs send -p ..." manually to make a copy to the internal SSD archive. My external SSD is 500GB and keeps about 7 days of snapshots. The internal SSD holds about 12 or so snapshots. Both use less than half of the space available.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X