This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A btrfs/ Kparted problem

Since installing 12.04 beta on my then new Thinkpad W520 I had few issues with it.
    Sure after the first Kernel update it became apparent grub update did not allow root to be installed on btrfs so I reverted it to ext4.

A few months ago I noticed 12.04 needing more time to boot from log in to the GUI but did not think much of it.
    This did not improve when I first upgraded to 12.10 and later did a fresh install of 12.10.
    Because I still run 12.04 on a separate partition it was easy to notice the difference.

A couple of days ago I could no longer log in on 12.10, whenever I put in my password after a few seconds I'd be back at the log in prompt.
    Yet I was able to log in via a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F2).
    After some mucking around (and making a fresh back up) I decided to boot up 12.04 and run btrfsck, this returnned 0 errors but now I was able to log in yet the boot process hung at the second icon.
    I ran btrfsck --repair but this made no difference so I decided to do a totally fresh install and using the opportunity to enlarge the / partition from 14 to 15 Gb and move /home back to ext4.

I ran up a Live USB and as so often used Kpartition for this job.
    But once I started the GUI install process I got an error stating the new partitions (and all others on this disk) were off from the sector by 1536 bits, something that would cause slow down(!) and was in need of a fix.
    Repeated attempts to make the new partitions always resulted in this error and I could not progress to install.

Then I used the partition utility that's part of the GUI installer and all went smooth.
    So there seems to be a bug in Kparted, it is apparently not able to fulfil the requirement to put partitions cleanly on sectors.

Anyhow, my new install runs fine, the only observation is it reverted back to Alsa Audio even though all other installs since march had come up with Pulse Audio.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
    So there seems to be a bug in Kparted, it is apparently not able to fulfil the requirement to put partitions cleanly on sectors.
    Perhaps it would be beneficial to file a bug:
    Code:
    ubuntu-bug partitionmanager
    Originally posted by Teunis View Post
    it reverted back to Alsa Audio even though all other installs since march had come up with Pulse Audio.
    Hm, that's unusual. So you don't have any part of PulseAudio installed at all?

Comment

Working...
    X