K3b Creates Audio CDs with WAV, MP3, FLAC, and OGG Copies of the Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K3b Creates Audio CDs with WAV, MP3, FLAC, and OGG Copies of the Audio

I am running Kubuntu 22.04 (LTS) on an Asus desktop PC. I am using K3b to make audio CDs.

I have several MP3 music files (128K-bps bit rate, 44.1K-bps sampling rate), which I transferred onto an audio CD using K3b. I expected to see only WAV files on the newly-created CD. Instead, I found multiple folders, each containing copies of the source files in a different format: WAV, OGG, FLAC, and MP3.

These extra copies are taking up space, reducing the number of files that I can save on a single disc.

Why does K3b do this? Is there any way to save only WAV files on the CD?

That is probably the Kio_audiocd "virtual" file system.

Assuming you are using dolphin to browse the optical disc, those extra files and directories aren't actually on the disk.

What happens is that when you drag any of those "phantom" files to copy them to another location, it actually rips the files from the CD to that format as it copies things.

This is a very long standing feature available in KDE going back at least to the KDE 3 days.

Does it look something like this:

Of course, the icon layout may be different based on your own settings.
    Not every Plasma based system has this by default any longer, as music CDs are another dying breed, along with optical disks in general.
    Last edited by claydoh; Nov 23, 2023, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Yes-- I am using Dolphin. Your screen capture (image) depicts exactly what is displayed. I thought that the OGG, FLAC, and MP3 files are actually on the CD, since they all seem to have file properties (size and date created).

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
      X