Voice to text with LiveCaptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voice to text with LiveCaptions

I installed a nice tool that converts voice into text without the need to connect to an internet server. It comes pre-trained and does a remarkable job.
    https://flathub.org/apps/net.sapples.LiveCaptions

Using Flatpak to install it:
    flatpak install flathub net.sapples.LiveCaptions

and to run it:
    flatpak run net.sapples.LiveCaptions

It also installs itself into the KDE Menu so you don't need to open a Konsole and run the cli command above.

My wife was watching Perry Mason on a TV which was about 10-12' away. Using my laptop microphone, which was covered by a NoteIt, LiveCaptions picked up and translated the voice extremely well. Speaking to it directly from about 18" it perfectly translated my voice into text.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Adding a different model - namely the aprilv0_en-us.april one (only English one available to add) seems to work better than the built-in one.
    I was playing with this while playing back the video from Louis Rossmann talking to the developer, and the stock model couldn't 'hear' the softer-spoken dev, lol.

Not bad at all, and doesn't use external resources.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Adding a different model - namely the aprilv0_en-us.april one (only English one available to add) seems to work better than the built-in one.
      I was playing with this while playing back the video from Louis Rossmann talking to the developer, and the stock model couldn't 'hear' the softer-spoken dev, lol.

Not bad at all, and doesn't use external resources.
      Rossmann is where I ran across it too!
      Thanks for the tip about the model!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X