[Solution] Linux Kubuntu bad sound audio problem no hd sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solution] Linux Kubuntu bad sound audio problem no hd sound

I spent hours, several days, tweaking the audio settings after switching from Windows to Kubuntu. Many things are recommended on the internet, nothing helped except this: https://github.com/adgsenpai/LinuxSoundUpgrade. Now I enjoy HiFi Audio/HD Audio/Dolby Advanced Audio/High End Sound/High Quality Audio/Hi Res Music/Hi-end Audio/... just like on Windows. Have fun with this solution!

Update post #12
    Last edited by Jojojoooo; Feb 28, 2023, 03:52 AM.

Note however, the only Pulseefects Downloads from the link for Ubuntu are for 18.04, 20.04, and 22.04 only (as of now). I haven't looked at the documentation for building from source, so can't say if that way would work for newer Ubuntu releases. Just say'n.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 25, 2023, 02:37 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My Kubuntu version is the 22.10. Perhaps others also have the same success as the creator of github, who rated his work positively and like me.

Comment

So, this is an effects plugin? What tf does it actually do?

I'd almost suspect this as being spam, or clickbait or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Jojojoooo View Post
          My Kubuntu version is the 22.10
          Did you build from source, or download, and if download, how and what? When I went to https://pkgs.org/download/pulseefects the page reports No packages found. The Filter shows Distros: all Arches: arm intel Types: official thirdparty

I'm running 23.04, so given what I saw in the Distributions listing for Ubuntu, I wasn't surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            I'd almost suspect this as being spam, or clickbait or something.
            No. The site is legit. At least, I believe it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              No. The site is legit. At least, I believe it to be.
              Well it IS GitHub, which is legitimate, though the content can be whatever it is, as it depends on the author.

I mean the OP
              Who I am blatantly baiting into explaining what this is, does, and how it 'fixed' his own particular audio setup

Comment

Because of my many attempts to improve the audio quality, among this were help guides that recommended downloading "Pulseffects" or "Easyeffects". Both can be obtained from the Software Discover section of Kubuntu, which is where I got them from. Because the link given there does not work for me either. From there (github), under the point "i. Downloading Effect", I only downloaded the file under the link given there and followed the instructions on how to paste this file (virustotal = zero infections found), which comes from Windows, into "Easyeffects".

How the whole thing works I do not know. The information comes from here: https://www.linuxhow2.com/2020/10/19...-pulseeffects/ And because there the file was no longer retrievable, so I looked for a current possibility.​

Comment

What were the specific problems that you were having?

How does this fix them?

What audio hardware do you have? << this is highly useful information since not all fixes work on all systems, and this will be useful for those with similar setups

Basically more deets, plz

Comment

​Since I have recently read a lot about Linux and bad sound, it turned out that my sound problems are those of many others and this, among other things, has been deterring users from switching to Linux for years.

That just acoustically the front speaker is served and no high-definition sound is available. This was always brought with the explanation that Linux uses the direct audio hardware channel and does not make any other software settings as they are found under Windows. As a result, my sound was available, but to some extent much too quiet, also it always sounded as if the certain performance was missing in all areas - which has now been fixed by the solution I found here.

The hardware is a laptop from "Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ARE05" with the sound hardware "Family 17h/19h HD Audio Controller Pro" (default profile here is "Analog Stereo Duplex", have selected "Pro Audio")

If you need more information for the search algorithm, just write.​

Comment

Originally posted by Jojojoooo View Post
                      If you need more information for the search algorithm, just write.​
                      That's not it at all.
                      It's just nice to know why or how something works, what it does, and what sort of specific thingtl it fixes.

Your second link is much better at describing what is being done: 'Faking' Dolby audio using Essyeffects and a plugin.

Comment

Once called "Pulseffects", should now be called "Easyeffects", offers many setting options. These I have now tested to get even more quality out.

In my first post I included the audio file in "Easyeffects" as described in the instructions there on "github" and the sound was also really good with the test: "Greatest Audiophile Music Collection 2020 - High End Sound Test - Audiophile NBR STORE". Only it had its weaknesses in the video sound and I was looking for another, more suitable .irs file (Impulse Response Sample).

Different sources with free offers I used:
                        1. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2hud2wuxg...Nv0uNSpja?dl=0
                        2. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/i...dolby.2765331/
                        3. and many other sites like "Wilkinson Audio", "Redwirez", "Echo Avenue". Mainly these are used, it seems to me after my research, in the music industry: studio, guitar, bass, speaker, microphone, ...

I put one .irs after the other into the program "Easyeffects" and by a process of elimination I finally arrived at the .irs from my stated second point: "Wave MaxxBass + Waves RBass (Built-In)".

In "Easyeffects" under the single effect "Convolver" I undertook the following settings: 1. input 1.0 dB; 2. output -10 dB; 3. selected: automatic gain control; 4. the rest remained at default.

Under "Easyeffects" settings (three bars top right) enabled process all inputs and outputs. And start service at system startup. Under Spectrum at the very bottom the frequency range minimum 20 Hz and maximum 22,000 Hz.
                        In the middle of the program "Easyeffects" is "Pipewire" there the setting under automatically loaded presets the .irs file selected by me.

In the system audio setting under Kubuntu itself, left click on the speaker and below left activate increase maximum volume. (to go from 100% up to 150% volume) And as mentioned before I use the profile for my "Family 17h/19h HD Audio Controller Pro" the Pro profile. (same menu with the three bars behind the listed soundcard).

These settings in "Easyeffects" under the effect "Convolver" result from the fact that I kept an eye on the four bars on the right at the bottom when testing via hi-res audio files ProStudioMasters and pricked up my ears to see if there was any overtone. Difficult tests from there were 1.3 and 1.6 for my audio system. Attention was paid to hardly any green bars, which could have a critical effect on the audio system. This can be adjusted with the settings on the left side (input and output).

Now I enjoy in all areas a very good sound for me with the sufficient performance. (Even though my Lenovo laptop operates all three channels, i.e. left, center and right, but the manufacturer may have used the hardware installation from left to center, but not the right side. Thus, the sound is left and center-heavy. Tested also under Windows with "VirtualBox". I came to this only through the tests of 1.23 - 1.25 from the link above "ProStudioMasters").
                        Last edited by Jojojoooo; Feb 28, 2023, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X