This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Streaming TV with VLC

I run vlc, then media, stream, network, put in https://www.link, stream, and then click a few more pages. Vlc gives an error, freezes the pc, and I must then reboot.

Can someone suggest the correct method for streaming the https tv channel using vlc. I do not want to save the file, just stream the video.

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

What's the error msg?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Please address GG's question first but other than that, does it require a pass phrase?

woodjustwonderingsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        What's the error msg?
        'Your input cannot be opened'

'VLC is unable to open
        MRL 'https://www.firstonetv.eu/Live/international/Sky-News-international-1'. Check the log for details'.

I cannot find the log
        Last edited by anonprivate; Jun 08, 2017, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
          Please address GG's question first but other than that, does it require a pass phrase?

woodjustwonderingsmoke
          I don't think so

Comment

I would say this appears to be a VLC issue, and not a Kubuntu one.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I believe that the issue is given by the source:
              You need the Flash Player (min. version 10.1.0) to watch this Stream.
              Click here
              to download the Adobe Flash Player.
              Read our
              F.A.Q
              for more help, there you can find instructions how to activate Flash in Chrome or Firefox.
              Install Adobe Flash Player? Ya, when Hell freezes over.

The vlc log file is where you want to put it. See Tools-->Preferences-> See All --> Advanced --> Logging. In that panel you can designate where you want vlc's log file, what you will name it, and what verbosity you want it to have. The only "log" message you'll get until you set the log file is what is in the error panel.

Strange that it never asked me to login or for a password. Maybe requesting a login is part of the Flash Player initialization script?

PS- It appears that the vlc logging facility isn't working on a normal close and open of vlc after setting the name, location and verbosity of the log file. I haven't tried rebooting though.
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 27, 2017, 01:53 PM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for returning to the thread.

I can now try again and look at the log.

I was a little confused by the 'verbosity' setting in VLC. The default is -1. Any idea how to interpret these numbers in terms of the amount of information given? 0 cannot mean no information, otherwise what do the minus numbers mean?

Best wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post

I was a little confused by the 'verbosity' setting in VLC. The default is -1. Any idea how to interpret these numbers in terms of the amount of information given? 0 cannot mean no information, otherwise what do the minus numbers mean?

Best wishes.
                  The "Verbosity" setting is how you tell VLC how much detail you want in your vlc log. -1 is minimal. 0 through 2 gives successively more, and "1 Warning" gives a lot. Probably 2 is the setting you need.

Comment

Thank you.

I have set '2' as the verbosity.

I note that verbosity can be extremely high. I wonder what '100' gives.

All the best.

A

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                      Thank you.

I have set '2' as the verbosity.

I note that verbosity can be extremely high. I wonder what '100' gives.

All the best.

A
                      Probably more than either you or I want or need to know and probably could not understand unless we were the developers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I created a logfile in VLC then pasted a url for streaming. The usual problem occurred, i.e. errors. I tried to locate the logfile in my home directory where I set up the text file, but, could not find it. In addition, it does not appear to be anywhere else!

Comment

From my post: #7
                          PS- It appears that the vlc logging facility isn't working on a normal close and open of vlc after setting the name, location and verbosity of the log file. I haven't tried rebooting though.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            From my post: #7
                            Sorry, I should have read your post more carefully.

Comment

It appears that I do not have the TLS client plugin.

I have noted that there are several TLS utilities in Muon.

Can anyone advise regarding the best plugin to install so that VLC will stream form secure websites.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X