This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CoverGloobus

I ran across an article at OMGUbuntu! about CoverGloobus! ....................talk about a BLAST FROM THE PAST!!

It is a "thing" that will display covers, lyrics, tabs, etc about songs that are playing.

There are quite a few "skins" for it at DeviantArt, the default is small, measuring an inch and half by inch and a half on the desktop, but there are larger ones.

The 64 Bit installed ONLY from the linked page, I tried the d/l from Git etc. with no luck. There is a 32 bit. This was on Xenial.

It does not produce a menu item one must use the search function.

It has a scad of players that it will interact with, using a simple drop down menu system, it really does work quite well, but....well.....why? Because the player, such as Clementine, has to be running so...use Clementine GUI unless one just wants a thing on the desktop to watch etc.

Long ago and far away into the future, I used it for listening to the old xmms, and MPD which need(ed) a client, so now it isn't really that much of a whoop for me, but, it does bring back memories.

Hey, maybe it will give someone and impetus to learn about MPD!

woodgoingdownmemorylanesmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Hi.
    Thanks for the interest, I noticed that quite a few folks looked at the thread.

The first post was a "quick and dirty" just about the fact that one could, indeed get the dingus to run on the laterst Kubu release.

however, after fiddling with it a while I decided that it was not going to actually display "a cover" with the downloaded configuration.

Looking around on the web, and there is not that much out there, I found that the situation is that of needing a certain python package: pygtk,

Wellllllll the available threads are several years old and I did the usual sudo to install the recommended package but it was never "available".

So, I just typed pygtk into Synaptic and got a lot or stuff for "python" but...I'm no python person but there was hauled in a certain "application" called "comix".

Hmmmm sezee to himself sezeee....

So, I installed "comix" and it pulled a lot of python stuff and...

lo and behold! covers appear in the dingus!

With the following caveats....... the "player" needs to actually be able to BRING IN a cover.

The obvious exception to having a cover available is that something like SOMAFM does not have associated covers. But, with a cd it works nifty.

With Clementine, I've never been so much for covers but one does have to click the little "cd cover" in the bottom left of the GUI and go through the menu to "automatically download covers", the cover then appears there in Clementine and also in CoverGloobus!

So....again, one must ask, why..... but, it is a neat little dingus that sits nicely on the desktop and displays the title, artist and cover.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
    X