This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] no audio!

Somehow, some time ago, I clicked on something that caused kubuntu to lose audio altogether. I can play audio files in amorak, but there is no output to the speakers, no sount. Click on the mixer and nothing is muted, sound is up at 100%. Also, when I insert a disc in the dvd drive, kubuntu doesn't seem to recoginze it. I know that these are two separate issues, but they seem related at the same time. Any ideas/suggestions?

Have you checked the settings in System settings > Hardware > Multimedia > Audio & Video Settings?
    Within the Audio Video settings are three tabs at the top to choose from.
    The most likely tab you'll need to check is the second one titled "Audio Hardware Setup".
    This was my culprit when it came to no audio, many moons ago.
    Fiddle with the various options, testing each with the "Front Left" or "Front Right" buttons until you get sound.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	audio-1.png
Views:	1
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	642776
    Last edited by phonic-otg; Mar 10, 2015, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phonic-otg View Post
      Have you checked the settings in System settings > Hardware > Multimedia > Audio & Video Settings?
      Within the Audio Video settings are three tabs at the top to choose from.
      The most likely tab you'll need to check is the second one titled "Audio Hardware Setup".
      This was my culprit when it came to no audio, many moons ago.
      Fiddle with the various options, testing each with the "Front Left" or "Front Right" buttons until you get sound.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]5867[/ATTACH]
      Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, it wasn't the answer. I played with it for the better part of a half hour and got a big, fat, nothing burger. My motherboard is an ASUS m5A97, so I went to the ASUS website and looked for drivers. None. When I The speakers work on another computer, so that can't be it. Or can it? I'm going to look like Telly Savalas before this is over (without the lolipop, of course). Any other ideas?

Comment

You could try the suggestions from here

Comment

Originally posted by phonic-otg View Post
          You could try the suggestions from here
          Once again, thanks. A little more head work paid off. I'm copying my rootlog entry from today:

10 March 2015

Let's see. Where do we start today? Teresa's computer has bitten the dust for now -- bad power supply. Not a terribly high priority right now, so for the moment I don't really care too much. As for this machine, well, a few months ago, I lost audio on it by tweaking something. I still don't remember what, but it doesn't matter. It died and I couldn't figure out how to get it back. Minor annoyance, but I lived with it until something else happened that would prompt me to do something. That something turned out to be PGP, which I downloaded and installed. While I was configuring it, it hit me that anyone I emailed with it would need to have it on their end to decrypt, so I uninstalled it. Uninstalling also relieved me of Thunderbird, Muon Package Manager, Muon Update Manager and other things I use all the time. NOW I had an excuse. I made sure that everything was backed up that I would need and reinstalled Kubuntu, figuring that a fresh, clean install would also give me audio back. WRONG! It took care of the rest, but I still didn't have audio. I uploaded a note to kubuntuforums and someone suggested playing with the configuration in system settings. Nothing. Finally, a light went off and I realized that I had an audio card sitting around doing exactly nothing. Why not drop it in and see what happens? Audio happened. The built in audio on the motherboard gave up the ghost, and no matter what I did, it wasn't coming back. Of course, only one of the speakers works, but that's an easy and cheap fix. At least now I have sound back, along with everything else that needed tweaking. THIS is why I don't like everything crammed into one package. If I didn't have a sound card to plug in, I still wouldn't have sound. Dicreet components. That's the ticket. That's also why you can't give me an all in one printer/fax/copier/scanner/toaster/coffee maker. Lose one of the functions and you lose them all until the stupid thing comes out of the shop.

Thanks again.

Comment

Well there we go no amount of Software tweaking is going to fix a stuffed chip-set. Good luck Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
            X