This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

netflix

it seams netflix now plays in chrome on linux with no hacks .............................

working well @hear

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

You have allowed a "digital restrictions management" service to run on your machine. Happy now? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      You have allowed a "digital restrictions management" service to run on your machine. Happy now? LOL
      Don't you use Chrome, with its Pepper Flash player? Is it possible to use Flash without enabling the DRM bits?

I'm chugging along quite happily without any form of flash installed here
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

? what do you mean ,,,,,,netflix in general??

I do not believe in the validity of the concept of sutch things as "digital restrictions management" so do not pay it much mind ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I would never clame to have created someone elces work ,,,but if I have a copy of your work it is MY decision if I want let you see,hear,read MY copy........

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Nope. I had Chromium (never Chrome) installed for a while. Can't stand how it replaces whole swaths of the operating system with its own junk (widgets, compositor, network stack, etc.). So I went back to Firefox as my secondary browser; I continue to use Konqueror + kpart-webkit as my primary browser.

For Flash, I'm using the increasingly aging plugin. But, tbh, most of the pr0n I watch is now delivered over HTML5, so Flash isn't getting too much use anymore.

Comment

I'm sure you told be before that you were using pepper flash because it was the only way to get a "modern flash binary" on Linux... that must have been when you were using chromium?!
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?p=347248

Gotcha. It was chromium.
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                I do not believe in the validity of the concept of sutch things as "digital restrictions management" so do not pay it much mind ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I would never clame to have created someone elces work ,,,but if I have a copy of your work it is MY decision if I want let you see,hear,read MY copy........
                Netflix streams content over HTML5. That content is encrypted and digitally watermarked using Encrypted Media Extensions (EME), a form of DRM. The latest Chrome (but not Chromium) includes EME. As for Firefox, Mozilla initially was reluctant to add EME support, but recently changed their mind.

More: http://www.pcworld.com/article/28246...rkarounds.html

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                  I'm sure you told be before that you were using pepper flash because it was the only way to get a "modern flash binary" on Linux... that must have been when you were using chromium?!
                  Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                  Right. That was March. Since then, I purged Chromium and returned to Firefox.

Comment

Right. That was March. Since then, I purged Chromium and returned to Firefox.
                    Sorry, I wasn't trying to "catch you out" ("gotcha" was a poor choice of wording) I'm just genuinely interested in the differences between pepper flash and the old adobe one. Did the drawbacks of chromium outweigh the benefits of the newer flash, or is there really not much difference between the two?
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

The old Flash plugin is version 11.2. The current Flash Player is version 15. Many changes between the old and new; some videos on the Internet may not work with the 11.2 plugin if they've been made to utilize newer features. However, on the rare instance where I still encounter Flash, I've not yet run into any such problem.

Chrom(e)ium just looks so out of place on KDE. Firefox, even though it's XUL/Gtk, still looks better. Yeah, I know, "looks" is a silly reason to prefer one browser over another. But at least Firefox relies on the underlying toolkit and compositor and networking stack. Chrom(e)ium wants to do too much on its own. I try to minimize Google's infiltration into my digital life; dropping their browser is part of accomplishing that goal.

I suppose, actually, that once Qt picks up the Blink rendering engine and makes that broadly available, KDE will incorporate it and Rekonq will finally have a decent chance at becoming the standard browser that we can all enjoy. If/when that happens, I'll be on it.

Comment

As for Firefox, Mozilla initially was reluctant to add EME support, but recently changed their mind.
                        Some additional info...

I found the FAQ at the end of this article quite clear and useful:
                        https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/05/re...n-and-w3c-eme/

And here's Cory Doctorow's commentary on the move:
                        http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...-cory-doctorow
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Steve. What I really don't get is how Google can be maintaining a piece of software written by adobe... has adobe given Google access to the source code? Or is "pepper flash" the same flash player, just wrapped in some Google code? I've always found this a bit confusing...
                          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

The old Flash plugin used the Netscape Plugin API (NPAPI). Nearly every contemporary browser (except IE) supported this, including Chrom(e)ium. In late 2013 Google decided they didn't like NPAPI anymore and announced plans to drop it. (To be fair, NPAPI is rather hacky -- I'm glad to see it go.) Google is following through on their promise; NPAPI was dropped from Chrom(e)ium for Linux in verison 35 and now in version 37 on other operating systems it's been made much harder to get to.

Pepper is part of Google's Native Client (NaCl) project. It includes a Pepper Plugin API (PPAPI). NaCl provides a mechanism for running native code (that is, compiled binaries) in a browser sandbox. As you might imagine, security-oriented folk bristle at this notion. PPAPI is architecturally better than NPAPI; and even though Google's intent was for it to be widely adopted by all, no other browsers have picked it up -- you'll see it only in Chrome and Chromium.

As for Flash, Google takes the code from Adobe and implements a PPAPI-enabled plugin that's included with Chrome. The pepperflashplugin-nonfree package downloads Chrome and extracts the PPAPI Flash plugin and makes it available for Chromium.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, I think I finally get it!

Pepper is part of Google's Native Client (NaCl) project.
                              Ugh... salt and pepper
                              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X