This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Audio from the Comp after I Plugged my Speakes into my Phone

So as the title says, I wanted to see if my Phone would play over my Speakers and they did but now I get no Audio with my Speakers plugged back into my computer. I tried stuff with the Audio Settings and the Test Works but nothing else will, not Amorok or Youtube, any ideas? Thanks!

Normally, when you unplug phones the sound goes to the internal speakers. When you plug in external speakers the sound goes to them. When you unplug the external speakers the sound automatically returns to the internal speakers. When you plug in phones the internal speakers are muted and the phones are unmuted. Sounds like your internal speakers were muted when you plugged in the speakers but not unmuted when you removed them and plugged in the phones.

sudo alsamixer
    Hit F5 to see most/all of the vertical sliders. Select the "Speaker" slider and if it is muted press the "M" key and run the slider up until you hear sound. You also may have to play with the PCM or Master volume sliders, perhaps the Capture slider.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hey thanks for the Response!

I checked the Volumes and they seemed to be in order, I even unmuted and turned up a bunch of other ones to see if that would do anything but alas, I guess the problem lies elseware. Thank you for your help though

I may have a really old version, I see no 'Speaker' slide, I think I have the Lynx version, but I should prolly upgrade anyway and it might fix my issue
      Last edited by KudosMatrix7; Aug 04, 2014, 03:44 PM.

Comment

If there's no mixer or volume icon, it may be that your Linux has decided you don't have sound hardware; if (as seems implied by the fact you're running a rather old version of *buntu) your computer is on the old side, you may have even suffered a sound hardware failure (potentially brought on by the final analog amplifier stage being unconnected, though sound cards are generally well protected from this fault). Assuming you didn't make any sound setting changes while the speakers were unplugged, and further assuming the speakers still work when connected to your phone (i.e. the phone didn't somehow damage the speakers), speaker amplifier is turned on/plugged in, speaker wire in the correct jack (likely three or six together, all same size, and probably only one is correct for speakers), etc. -- you may need to troubleshoot the sound drivers (or just go ahead and upgrade to 14.04.1 Trusty Tahr). Also worth trying another pair of speakers or headphones/headset, just to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by KudosMatrix7 View Post
          any ideas?
          Two.
          1. Take the speaker lead and plug and unplug vigorously 50 or so times. Maybe there's a bad contact, it sat for so long.
          2. Start the computer with a live CD or DVD or bootable USB, and see if sound works. (My box lost sound after a mobo change and this told me it wasn't a hardware problem.)

Regards, John Little
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
          X