X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] kde-workspace-randr

Hi
    Now that I have a really nice monitor and new computer, I have my old and trusted ViewSonic about to be put on the shelf.

The new card for the computer is the latest and greatest Nvidia and has the DVI plug.

The question I have is this:

I would like to remove the stand from the Viewsonic, turn it up into "portrait mode", put it on some kind of stand and use it as a portrait mode monitor to work on documents.

Which would give me a larger than life 8 x 11 piece of paper on screen.

a) I do not have the "Nvidia drivers" like I have had before. Yes, there is the Nvidia driver thing but it only now has that I can enter script of some kind to have profiles, but there are NO...presets of any kind.

b) I started with the Nouveau driver and went to fglrx with updates driver thinking I might have more options, but no.

c) I've read up on RandR, (rotate and resize) and it is all terminal stuff and what I need is:

d) the ability to either use a switch box or just unplug/plug/unplug the cable between monitors...

e) the ability to switch the driver from the normal landscape mode for the new monitor to portrait for the Viewsonic.

f) after reading a lot I looked in Synaptic and found a GUI called "kde-workspace-randr".

Not much of a description therein, but it was returned for "grandr" which is "grandma's GUI" for just doing very simple things, and all I want to do is... rotate the screen.

g) question: does anyone have experience with this, because I DO NOT want to bork things on this setup........and I have almost NEVER said that before...I've borked a LOT of stuff!

So....comments on kde-workspace-randr GUI for just doing a simple rotate and not borking things?

Thanks ahead of time!

woodreallylikingmynewhardwaresmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

hay woody ,,,,,, I usualy go for the simplest approach first ,,,, and I havent tryed it my self yet ,,,,,BUT ,,,,,, cant you go to system settings>display and monitor and just click the rotate button on the virtual screen their ??

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OMG I just tryed that on my laptop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it did work ,,,,,,,,BUT jeeesss the track pad rotated as well ,,,,LOL ,,,,,it was a major coordination exercise to place the cursor properly to switch it back ,,,,,, LOL .

VINNY
      16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        OMG I just tryed that on my laptop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it did work ,,,,,,,,BUT jeeesss the track pad rotated as well ,,,,LOL ,,,,,it was a major coordination exercise to place the cursor properly to switch it back ,,,,,, LOL .

VINNY
        Playing around one day I did the same thing. Even using a standard mouse the coordination to set it back is hard!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
          Playing around one day I did the same thing. Even using a standard mouse the coordination to set it back is hard!
          LOL Iieee mon capytan...........

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Vinney no, surprisingly, not on any of the three machines that use Linux drivers.

Now on a machine that I used the whole Nvidia proprietary drivers a few years ago, one could do that with a click, but I don't use the drivers anymore, even the brand new machine, does not have the options in the Nvidia interactive box. so guess I'll just go for it.... and hope I don't bork anything! lol

And Moonrise....yes I remember the same thing when I did it a coupla years ago! :0

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Well, did the deed and it was...... an ....experience!

the kde-workspace-randr does work, one finds it in system settings/display and monitor/size and orientation.

The choice for me was to rotate it 270% right. It happened immediately and then....ummmmm the problem...

As stated in a certain.........other post in this thread!

The change is IMMEDIATE! the problem then is "accept" and then ......you have a few seconds in which to navigate to....."accept or not" bubble and

welll the best way to describe what one has to DO.... with the mouse is......."sashay", or "sidewinder".... to it..lol what an experience! lol

I have not disassembled the ViewSonic monitor, it is, however, set up in a temporary manner to test the situation.

NOTE ABOUT the PARTICULAR WORD PROCESSOR on the vertical monitor:

A) LibreOffice did ok, I was able to view a page full sheet.

B) CALLIGRA writer however AGAIN SHOWED the USEFULLNESS of its "configurability"...... things that most people probably don't use...

From the image that I attached one can see that ....with one click.... I was able to detach the menu system, except for a few fixed ones at the top...

It is now BELOW the single sheet.

I..........just ........LOVE CALLIGRA!

Here is a linky to an image of Calligra on the now vertical ViewSonic monitor:

https://imageshack.com/i/p55fd457j

Anyhow........ moving on...

I don't really want to be plugging and unplugging the cable, and also don't want to buy other hardware...

So........ I am turning my OLD TOSHIBA LAPPY.........into.......a WORD SERVER!!! LOL

Fortunately I have a bunch of cheap stuff like keyboards, mice etc. and have just set up the lappy to rotate the screen, and it will stay that permanently.

NOTE, the install on the lappy is not tweaked it only has Muon......and guess what...

I searched Muon for "randr" and what was returned was: KRandRTray.

KRandRTray does NOTHING...it merely displays what is there.

I then had to use Muon Discover to install Muon, and then use Muon to install Synaptic and found out....duuuhhhh

That the kdeworkspace thing was, indeed installed....only the only wat to see it is in settings.

So. I went to settings/monitor/display and there were the controls described above.

Because of the limited resolution of the Toshiba Lappy, even with adjustment of the screen size manually on the monitor, the "lower panel" did not display so I had to right click on the desktop and select "add panel" and "default panel" and it did, indeed, appear at the bottom and is fully functional.

So...........I now have a "dedicated........ writing/word SERVER! lol "

woodsmoke
              Last edited by woodsmoke; Jul 16, 2014, 07:52 PM.
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

See my previous post.

An anomaly that exists between the very low res laptop and the full bore video tower.

The tower orients the background/wallpaper correctly but things are "squised" left right and lengenthened vertically.

The low video res lappy keeps the orientation of the wallpaper, so ...like the default "blue swirl" is oriented UP and DOWN, not left right.

But that is ok, it works.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Well.... it is kind of head twisting to "get used to" the portrait, vertical, monitor, but it does provide a complete view in terms of formatting.

And the kdeworkspace app has "held" the orientation through several restarts.

The old lappy takes some time to "gather it's skirts" in terms of the mouse, etc. on a power up, but when it has settles down, since I am only running ONE app, I've removed a lot of apps such as Amarok, etc. there is no perceivable lag time when typing or formatting.

And, again, for those who have sometimes mentioned that Calligra has "overhead", I have not so found, and the ergonomic placement of buttons, detachable menus etc. are working fine.

https://imageshack.com/i/p55fd457j

woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Sweet!!

Comment

Working...
                    X