X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio - video editing & tagging suggestions

I'm using 12.04 just for reference.

I am wondering if there is a GUI based program that will tag (actually write the tag to the original file) audio & video files. I am also looking for a good audio editing program. For video I am using Kdenlive.

Also, not AV related, any suggestions for writing tags to graphics files (jpg, png, etc)?
    Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Audio and video tagging: kid3. Very good.

Audio editor: kwave. Haven't used it, but it recently received an update.
    Alternative: Audacity. Probably the most popular. It's a GTK+ application, though, and some folks prefer to keep their Kubuntu PCs free of those.

Graphics tagging: Gwenview, already installed on your machine.

Comment

Kid3 & Kwave look exactly like what I need. Thank you. I've been avoiding Audacity for many reasons.

Just to clarify, Gwenview actually writes the tags to the actual media file? I thought it was only saved locally.

Comment

Originally posted by citizen View Post
        Just to clarify, Gwenview actually writes the tags to the actual media file? I thought it was only saved locally.
        Uh... I'm not sure, now that you ask. You may need to enlist Google here, or wait for someone else to answer. Have you looked at DigiKam? Perhaps this tool will.

Comment

Kid3 & Kwave look exactly like what I need. Thank you. I've been avoiding Audacity for many reasons.

Kid3 is great it will even add album art to the file ,,,,,,,, I installed Kwave last night and took a quick look at it ,, it seams ok but could use some more/better options ,, you just cant beat Audacity though with Kwave yet ,,,,,,, or I just did not play with it long enough

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Uh... I'm not sure, now that you ask. You may need to enlist Google here, or wait for someone else to answer. Have you looked at DigiKam? Perhaps this tool will.
            I was actually having a hard time finding an answer to that. You can tag, but I an guessing that it is not to the file. Gimp does not seem to be able to tag either.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            Kid3 is great it will even add album art to the file ,,,,,,,, I installed Kwave last night and took a quick look at it ,, it seams ok but could use some more/better options ,, you just cant beat Audacity though with Kwave yet ,,,,,,, or I just did not play with it long enough VINNY
            That's really good to know. I have a ton of CD's that I need to rip for my mp3 player. And I have current files that need to be edited. So does Audacity pull in tons of junk? I try to stay in the KDE world, but that just a "try".

Comment

Exif tags - Semantic tags

Metadata tags

Exif is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchang...ge_file_format

The metadata tag is part of the file.

The KDE applications (Gwenview, digiKam, KPhotoAlbum, ...) can edit the exif tags through the kipi-plugins.

:~$ apt-cache show kipi-plugins
              Package: kipi-plugins
              Priority: optional
              Section: universe/kde
              Description: image manipulation/handling plugins for KIPI aware programs
              KIPI plugins (KDE Image Plugin Interface) is an effort to develop a
              common plugin structure for digiKam, KPhotoAlbum (formerly known as
              KimDaBa), Showimg and Gwenview.
              Its aim is to share image plugins among graphic applications.
              Current plugins ported to Qt4/KDE4:
              MetadataEdit : edit EXIF, IPTC and XMP metadata

Command line tool to read&write exif data: libimage-exiftool-perl.

Semantic tags

The KDE is using the Baloo ( older Nepomuk) to save the Semantic information (tags etc) to the external database.

More of the Baloo: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...71-Baloo-links
              --> Status of the applications: https://community.kde.org/Baloo/NepomukPort
              digiKam

With the latest digiKam, it allows tags/rating to be synchronized with digiKam's database. This is done by running a process which continuously monitors the digiKam and Nepomuk database and performs 2 way synchronization. Considering that Baloo uses extended attributes to store tags, it might be easier to integrate this with digiKam.

GwenView

Ported
              A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
              Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

So does Audacity pull in tons of junk? I try to stay in the KDE world, but that just a "try".
                Not much...
                Code:
                steve@t520:~$ [B]apt-cache depends audacity[/B]
                audacity
                  Depends: audacity-data
                  Depends: libasound2
                 |Depends: libavcodec54
                  Depends: libavcodec-extra-54
                  Depends: libavformat54
                  Depends: libavutil52
                  Depends: libc6
                  Depends: libexpat1
                  Depends: libflac++6
                  Depends: libflac8
                  Depends: libgcc1
                  Depends: libglib2.0-0
                  Depends: libgtk2.0-0
                  Depends: libid3tag0
                  Depends: libmad0
                  Depends: libmp3lame0
                  Depends: libogg0
                  Depends: libportaudio2
                  Depends: libportsmf0
                  Depends: libsbsms10
                  Depends: libsndfile1
                  Depends: libsoundtouch0
                  Depends: libsoxr0
                  Depends: libstdc++6
                  Depends: libtwolame0
                  Depends: libvamp-hostsdk3
                  Depends: libvorbis0a
                  Depends: libvorbisenc2
                  Depends: libvorbisfile3
                  Depends: libwxbase2.8-0
                  Depends: libwxgtk2.8-0
                Most of the dependencies may already be on your system; installing Audacity would bring in the Gtk+ 2 stuff and maybe a few of the libraries for the more obscure audio formats.

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
                The KDE applications (Gwenview, digiKam, KPhotoAlbum, ...) can edit the exif tags through the kipi-plugins.
                Cool!

Comment

The "one time" that I actually did a tag was for a thing at school and the tag was in the "about", but that was several years ago.

woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
                    Metadata tags

The metadata tag is part of the file.

So I checked my system to make sure kipi was installed, OK! Went back to Gwenview to write tags and it all seemed to work. But checking the file agter writing IPTC tags would not display. Had to close Gwen & re-open, then was able to display tags after ticking menu. Actually shows as "keywords" as it should. Then tried to tag with XMP and same routine. This shows as "subject" even though the tab is a "keywords" tab. It is however writing to the file as it should. None of it however shows as "tags" in the semantic information panel, probably because I have Nepomuk disabled (?), or maybe Baloo is not trying to read the exif data? Regardless the point was to be able to read/write to the file and Gwenview clearly can do that.

Thank you for the visual tutorial. I went over this a few times and clearly I missed it. I did not know about kipi though, so I learned something.

Comment

Working...
                    X