Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14.04 sound disappeared suddenly, and cant adjust screen brightness with hot keys

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14.04 sound disappeared suddenly, and cant adjust screen brightness with hot keys

I have an Asus UL80V (hardware and software specifics at the bottom) and run dual boot Windows and Kubuntu (ran Ubuntu before, first time with Kubuntu).

Sound:

The sound is the real problem here, since I haven't had this problem before in Ubuntu.
    It was fine at first, although it was kind of low even at full volume.
    Then I installed Netflix (I can provide a link for the guide if needed)
    I did install the "ia32-libs-multiarch for Saucy and later" since I run 64-bit, and Netflix has run smoothly.

Suddenly after a reboot all sound was suddenly gone. I don't know what it is related to, or if it is even related to installing the Netflix app, because the sound didn't stop working immediately after the installation.

Screen brightness:

The hot keys for adjusting screen brightness have been an issue all along. The scale of brightness appears on the screen when I push the buttons but the brightness doesn't change.
    Instead I adjust it in the terminal typing:

sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 f4.b=f

This works, although it would be wonderful if the hot keys worked!

Hardware and software:

Processors: 2 x Genuine Intel, CPU u3700 @ 1.30GHz
    3.8 GiB of RAM

KDELibs Version: 4.13.0
    Qt Version: 4.8.6
    Kernel Version: 3.13.0-24-generic

OS Type: 64-bit

for your sound issue:

Are you getting no sound at all for the whole OS? if so here are some basic kde things to check

Is the sound turned down ? Check your output levels in the kmix widget.(system tray by the clock).

Are you outputting to the correct device? Check that you are outputting to the correct device with the correct settings (system settings-> multimedia-> audio and video settings)
    First check under Audio Device Setup that your prefered card is using the profile you want and sending sound to the output port you expect (test sound here for the selected card / profile).

Please note: This does not set the output device for your system. It allows you to configure the settings for the sound card(s) in your computer. You can also test the different cards connectors using the speaker test to see if the shown device works when outputing to the shown connector using the shown profile. The same settings can be set for the input connectors and a sound meter will show up to let you check that input is working.

After you have checked your devices and checked that they are set correctly you can now switch to the "Device Preference" tab. Under the Audio Playback list the device that you want to output to should be at the top of the list for each section.

A link to the netflix guide would help us help you more. if this does not fix your problem.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Sound works in Windows, but not in Kubuntu.

For some reason I can't open kmix.

I checked and I am outputting the correct device. Under the Audio Playback list the device was not at the top of each list, but after putting it at the top, there is still no sound.

This is the guide I used for netflix, and as I said in my original post I did also install the "ia32-libs-multiarch for Saucy and later" since I run 64-bit: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Netflix

Comment

Working...
      X