X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decoding encypted Satellite TV channel

Hello
    I have a TechnoTrend PCI-Card for watching TV over the computer. All works very well with Kaffeine. Since about an year I can not watch Swiss TV anymore. On a recent trip to Switzerland, I took the Access CI and the smart card and there both brought up the pics and sound. So, I think I am missing a codec or something like this. I have installed quite a lot of files like the kubuntu-restricted packages and VLC for that famous libdvdcss2 coded, but to no avail at all.

Has anybody a good suggestion? Many thanks.

Kubuntu 13.04, changing soon to 13.10.
    Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
    I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Hello
    I got now deeper into the problem, as it is not only the Swiss scrambled programs but also ALL channels form Hotbird which show neither picture nor sound. I had an TV engineer to come and to check all connections. They are all OK. Dish with two double LNBs, directing to two receivers/decoders.

1: Living room TV with input from terrestrial antenna and from the satellite (Astra and Hotbird). All three inputs are totally OK, inclusive the scrambled Swiss TV.
    2: Study room with input from satellite (Astra and Hotbird). Astra perfect, Hotbird nil.

So the engineer exchanged the feeds to from 1 to 2 and vice versa. Result: Situation 1 is working perfect again, situation 2 ist again only showing Astra channels and no Hotbird channels.

He could also receive a signal on his testing machine for Hotbirds, the signal is here. When I make a channel search on Hotbird I get a list of all available channels. I have just to make sure put up a third satellite which no LNB geared towards it and there the search function gives a return of «no such device found». So, again, the signal must receive the PCI-card, but it can not be converted into picture ans sound.

Is there any hope, that somebody has a functioning Idea or do I really have to find another solution? I prefer the more or less unlimited possibilities to tape films and other productions via the computer instead of buying a new satellite decoder with a hard disk for the lounge.

Last straw would be to reinstall XP... But that would really be the ultimate defeat.
    I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

That you can watch Swiss TV in Switzerland but not in Scotland isn't surprising. EU countries have a tendency to 'block' access to their media from connections outside of their own countries.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Twice wrong.

1. Switzerland is not in the EU. Before we do that, the EU crashes.
        2. I have the Swiss TV card for Swiss abroad. That is the whole idea behind, because Switzerland reaches with terrestrial systems 99% of all households.
        3. In the living room setup, the Swiss channels work without a problem. I have just viewed a film on it.

So, please try a better response.

Comment

hehe. Okay, I'm the 'Ugly American'.

I hope that in being so I didn't offend. Given that you included Muttley in your response, I'll accept that I did not.

Comment

No, of course not. At least you have an Idea what and where Switzerland is, I heard other transcriptions like Swaziland et al. But to know about Switzerland at the moment must even be common knowledge in the US with all those fights your Taxoffices fight against the Swiss Gangterbanks who offers offensivly and aggressivly Tax heavens to US citizens.
            Do you ever have Snow in Arkansas?

So, to whoever read down to here, please help if you can.

Comment

What is the EXACT model of the card?
              "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Sorry, I completely forgot to tell the most important part:

Technotrend Premium C-2300 Hybrid (Windows/Linux) with Technotrend Premium 3.5" CI incl. remote control, bough in August 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                  Do you ever have Snow in Arkansas?
                  Don't know, as I live in Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    Don't know, as I live in Alaska.
                    Maybe if you squint really hard, you can see Arkansas from your porch.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Comment

Why would I want to see Arkansas?

Comment

No reason that I can think of. Was just curious, that's all

Comment

Working...
                        X