Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5.1 surround sound vanished from hardware profile. How can I get it back?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] 5.1 surround sound vanished from hardware profile. How can I get it back?

Specs:
    Motherboard: P5E3 Deluxe WiFi-ap@n
    MEM: 4GB
    Sound card: Unknown... whatever came integrated on this motherboard.
    Note: The motherboards manual doesn't state clearly what audio hardware the motherboard is using but the motherboard itself has multiple outputs for audio and later on in the manual it refers to a "SoundMAX ADI1988 Audio Driver" if they are using windows. So if we are lucky that is also some indication of what the audio hardware is.
    Desktop: KDE 4.10.3
    Primary sound system: ALSA
    (I just deleted the pulseaudio system because it was skipping and wasn't able to handle audio changes while a video was playing).

Problem history and description:
    Every so often some window would pop open saying that some audio hardware was unrecognized or something to that effect (even though it was being used and worked fine) so one day I got annoyed with constantly having to close this window all the time and I chose to let whatever the message was about go ahead and do whatever it was going to do by clicking ok. What it did was erase my audio hardware profile so now the only option I have in the configuration files and in the GUI for configuring audio is 2 channel stereo. It used to have a bunch of options for 5.1 surround sound which is what was working fine before whatever that message was that was annoying me all the time decided to destroy the audio setup.

Question:
    1.) How can I restore or force the system to scan for audio hardware and update the configuration files so that I can get my 5.1 surround options back in the audio settings GUI?
    2.) How do you stop and restart the ALSA system from the command line?

When I write "audio settings GUI" what I'm talking about is:
    kicker --> system settings --> hardware (row) --> multimedia --> phonon
    When I write "configuration files" I mean the user editable configuration files (if there are any) that phonon uses to do whatever it does.

Please let me know if I can provide any other information.

UPDATE:
    This problem was fixed by rebooting the computer. I don't know why that fixed this particular problem but it did. (Didn't think to try that because I thought restarting KDE without a reboot would do the trick).

The new problem is that under the [device preferences] tab in the multimedia settings for phonon the surround sound works when clicking on the test button (sounds great too) but under [audio hardware setup] non of the test buttons work at all, clicking on front, center, left, right, rear or whatever doesn't produce any sound at all.... but since this is a different problem, I'll mark this thread as solved and make a different post for that problem if researching it further doesn't produce a solution.
    Last edited by kubuntuforumsuser; May 25, 2013, 04:59 PM. Reason: The problem was fixed by a reboot.
Working...
X